armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Private

Question questions not answered

son at FLW.........wrote home, not suppose to graduate boot until after AIT. That would be June 5..........is that normal and would that graduation be a quickie or worth taking the trip to go and see (which I originally planned) When he went in, obviously the recruiter told some things to son that were just not accurate. SO - after AIT - how much time does he get to come home and if I went, would he be able to leave and travel home with us or what? Need to make plans and cannot seem to pinpoint any times down.........

also,

his wife is expecting baby -- was told he could come home for the delivery (before he left for boot) SO, what's the deal here.........according to him, graduates from AIT June 5....home - leave -- will he get to come home in July for birth of baby?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Corporal

My husband is at FLW, as well. He is set to graduate on May 21st. I am 32 weeks pregnant with our third child. He will not be coming home for her birth. There is not any leave between AIT and Basic Training. Your family or his wife should get a welcome letter in the mail. By the time he finishes Basic, he will have 2 days of leave built up. Because of how rigorous the training is, and how much is compacted into one day every day, leave is really not a possibility according to the letter. Exceptions are made in emergency situations, but I have heard AIT is a very hard time for them because of the amount of studying they HAVE to do to keep up and graduate. According to our welcome letter, soldiers ship to AIT as soon as graduation is over. I would recommend you and your daughter in law attend his Basic graduation, as this is an important step in his life, but do not make any set travel plans until you receive his confirmed graduation date around week 5 of his Basic Training (also in the letter!). Hope this helps. I will be delivering my baby without my husband here, but I can call the American Red Cross as soon as she is born to get the message to my husband that she has arrived and hope for a phone call home!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Corporal

I just reread your posting: Is he at Basic or is he at AIT and which one is the June 5th graduation? If June 5th is his AIT graduation date, then leave won't be a problem for the baby's birth, but if it his Basic graduation date and he will be at AIT, please read my above posting. Leave is not impossible while at AIT, just could cause a setback in his training.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Private

Default answers

He is in basic. AIT should start around very end of April! I thought I was going to a graduation then, but he wrote that he doesn't graduate until June 5 from AIT (if he does not get hurt or sick or whatever) So........why is his situation different from everyone else? why not until AFTER AIT?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Corporal

He is in OSUT: One station unit training... That is what makes it different.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Corporal

To try to help explain a bit, in OSUT he will end basic say on a Wednesday, goes through a short ceremony, has a short 12-24 hour break where he can go off post, then turns right right around and is in AIT. The same barracks, drill instructors, just a different phase. Once his AIT is completed then he will have his graduation and everything you are expecting. For some MOSs where the training time isn't as long as other and a lot of people cycle through, the Army does this for ease of training rather than shipping people all over the US when it could be taken care of in one place.

When he does graduate from AIT he may only be there for a very short time afterwords before he leaves for his next post. Once I graduated from AIT, I was on a bus that night traveling to my next duty station.