armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #21  
Old 11-02-2008, 07:31 AM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default

Cheers for the info lads....You learn something new everyday
__________________
Some People say the most important thing
a fighter can have is heart.
show me a fighter who's nothing but heart,
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر
Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 AM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default V-2

The V-2 rocket (German: Vergeltungswaffe 2) was the first ballistic missile and first man-made object to achieve sub-orbital spaceflight, the progenitor of all modern rockets including the Saturn V moon rocket. Over 3,000 V-2s were launched as military rockets by the German Wehrmacht against Allied targets in World War II, resulting in the death of 7,250, military personnel and civilians, while as many as 20,000 at Mittelbau-Dora died constructing V-2s. This sets the record for the weapon that caused more deaths building it than from using it; most who died in the constructon process were German prisoners

Period of Production
Up to 15 Sep 1944 -1900
15 Sep to 29 Oct 1944- 900
29 Oct to 24 Nov 1944- 600
24 Nov to 15 Jan 1945 -1100
15 Jan to 15 Feb 1945- 700
Total 5200

After Hitler's August 29 declaration to begin Operation Penguin as soon as possible and German agent 'Artist' informed agent 'Tricycle' in September to leave London due to impending danger, the offensive began on September 8, 1944, when Lehr und Versuchs Batterie No. 444[23] (English: Training and Testing Battery 444) launched a single rocket guided by a radio beam directed at Paris[18] which caused modest damage near Porte d'Italie.[7]:218,220,467 The 485th at The Hague launched two against London the same day at 6:43 pm,[9]:285 -- the first landed at Chiswick and killed 63 yr old Mrs Ada Harrison, 3 yr old Rosemary Clarke, and Sapper Bernard Browning on leave from the Royal Engineers.[10]:11 Upon hearing the double-crack of the supersonic rocket (London's first-ever), Duncan Sandys and Reginald Victor Jones looked up from different parts of the city and exclaimed 'That was a rocket!', and a short while after the double-crack, the sky was filled with the sound of a heavy body rushing through the air.[9]:286 Explosions could be attributed to other causes or to no particular cause. The Germans themselves finally announced the V-2 on 8 November 1944 and only then, on 10 November 1944, did Winston Churchill inform Parliament, and the world, that England had been under rocket attack "for the last few weeks".

Over the next few months the number of V-2s fired was at least 3,172, distributed over the various targets as follows:


Aftermath of a V-2 rocket attack on the main intersection in Antwerp, Belgium, November 27, 1944 1664: Antwerp (1610), Liege (27), Hasselt (13), Tournai (9), Mons (3), Diest (2)
1402: London (1358), Norwich (43),[9]p289 Ipswich (1) 76: Lille (25), Paris (22), Tourcoing (19), Arras (6), Cambrai (4)
Maastricht 19
Remagen 11
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	448px-Fus%C3%A9e_V2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	369   Click image for larger version

Name:	449px-V-2_rocket_diagram_%28with_English_labels%29_svg.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	370  
__________________
Some People say the most important thing
a fighter can have is heart.
show me a fighter who's nothing but heart,
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 11-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Spike's Avatar
Spike Spike is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Its very nice thank U
Posts: 2,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
The V-2 rocket (German: Vergeltungswaffe 2) was the first ballistic missile and first man-made object to achieve sub-orbital spaceflight, the progenitor of all modern rockets including the Saturn V moon rocket. Over 3,000 V-2s were launched as military rockets by the German Wehrmacht against Allied targets in World War II, resulting in the death of 7,250, military personnel and civilians, while as many as 20,000 at Mittelbau-Dora died constructing V-2s. This sets the record for the weapon that caused more deaths building it than from using it; most who died in the constructon process were German prisoners

Period of Production
Up to 15 Sep 1944 -1900
15 Sep to 29 Oct 1944- 900
29 Oct to 24 Nov 1944- 600
24 Nov to 15 Jan 1945 -1100
15 Jan to 15 Feb 1945- 700
Total 5200

After Hitler's August 29 declaration to begin Operation Penguin as soon as possible and German agent 'Artist' informed agent 'Tricycle' in September to leave London due to impending danger, the offensive began on September 8, 1944, when Lehr und Versuchs Batterie No. 444[23] (English: Training and Testing Battery 444) launched a single rocket guided by a radio beam directed at Paris[18] which caused modest damage near Porte d'Italie.[7]:218,220,467 The 485th at The Hague launched two against London the same day at 6:43 pm,[9]:285 -- the first landed at Chiswick and killed 63 yr old Mrs Ada Harrison, 3 yr old Rosemary Clarke, and Sapper Bernard Browning on leave from the Royal Engineers.[10]:11 Upon hearing the double-crack of the supersonic rocket (London's first-ever), Duncan Sandys and Reginald Victor Jones looked up from different parts of the city and exclaimed 'That was a rocket!', and a short while after the double-crack, the sky was filled with the sound of a heavy body rushing through the air.[9]:286 Explosions could be attributed to other causes or to no particular cause. The Germans themselves finally announced the V-2 on 8 November 1944 and only then, on 10 November 1944, did Winston Churchill inform Parliament, and the world, that England had been under rocket attack "for the last few weeks".

Over the next few months the number of V-2s fired was at least 3,172, distributed over the various targets as follows:


Aftermath of a V-2 rocket attack on the main intersection in Antwerp, Belgium, November 27, 1944 1664: Antwerp (1610), Liege (27), Hasselt (13), Tournai (9), Mons (3), Diest (2)
1402: London (1358), Norwich (43),[9]p289 Ipswich (1) 76: Lille (25), Paris (22), Tourcoing (19), Arras (6), Cambrai (4)
Maastricht 19
Remagen 11
Nasty piece of kit
__________________
The peasant bourgeoisie and their self righteous inclinations are the wests cancer!
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 AM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Nasty piece of kit
Evil mate...Hardly no defence against them...no warning...caused havoc to southern England

The Tomahawks great Grandad
__________________
Some People say the most important thing
a fighter can have is heart.
show me a fighter who's nothing but heart,
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Usque Sidera Usque Sidera is offline
Recruit
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
Default

I love my Mosin Nagant... Old Russian rifle that fires a 7.62-54R round. I'm accurate to about 150 meters with it using iron sights, though it will bruise the christ out of your shoulder after 40 shots hehe.

Looking forward to BT, I want a marksmanship badge bad!
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Jim76's Avatar
Jim76 Jim76 is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Versailles, Yvelines
Posts: 610
Default

FG 42, paratroop rifle
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FG_42[/url]

Missiles,

Ruhrstahl X-4
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhrstahl_X-4[/url]
Schmetterling
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmetterling[/url]
Wasserfall
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserfall[/url]

Goliath, tracked mine
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_tracked_mine[/url]
__________________
L'avantage d'être intelligent, c'est qu'on peut toujours faire l'imbécile, alors que l'inverse est totalement impossible.
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default

That Ruhrstahl X-4 Air-Air looks a little like the Sea Cat Naval SAM(on looks alone)....Its amazing how much the weapons of war progress in a short amount of time
__________________
Some People say the most important thing
a fighter can have is heart.
show me a fighter who's nothing but heart,
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
torspo[fin]'s Avatar
torspo[fin] torspo[fin] is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
That Ruhrstahl X-4 Air-Air looks a little like the Sea Cat Naval SAM(on looks alone)....Its amazing how much the weapons of war progress in a short amount of time
indeed. well weapons from the german side that is.. advanced radar systems from british,
and logistics etc. from the american side..
but it does still amaze me how most of the modern day "basic" weaponry has roots in
the german ww2 desings with few exeptions like the bazooka mentioned earlier.

now.. when you measure the cost of the "achievements" in war time... it becomes
more than obvious that the "social development" of mankind lags behind way behind
the technological marvels we uncover with this deadly "sport" of sorrow.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
indeed. well weapons from the german side that is.. advanced radar systems from british,
and logistics etc. from the american side..
but it does still amaze me how most of the modern day "basic" weaponry has roots in
the german ww2 desings with few exeptions like the bazooka mentioned earlier.

now.. when you measure the cost of the "achievements" in war time... it becomes
more than obvious that the "social development" of mankind lags behind way behind
the technological marvels we uncover with this deadly "sport" of sorrow.

Yeah...the Germans had some "fine"(depending on your viewpoint) pieces on their hands towards the end of WWII...there was just no way they could produce them fast enough nor in the numbers needed to change to the tide....The writing was alredy on the wall...having said that though their tanks and jet aircraft were the fathers of what we see today

If Hitler wasnt a few penny short of a pound the things in had in his back pocket could have changed the course...It was a case of not using the right things...at the right time(because he was barking mad and couldnt see reality)
__________________
Some People say the most important thing
a fighter can have is heart.
show me a fighter who's nothing but heart,
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Texas's Avatar
Texas Texas is offline
Major General
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post

If Hitler wasnt a few penny short of a pound the things in had in his back pocket could have changed the course...It was a case of not using the right things...at the right time(because he was barking mad and couldnt see reality)
I don't think Hitler was Mad as in insane. He had a belief which you and I don't share. That doesn't make him mad. He was prepared to sanction the death of millions to further Germanies cause. That alone doesn't make him mad, it does however show a complete lack of empathy for mankind.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gear, museum, weapons, ww1, ww2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.