armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Brigadier General

Cheers for the info lads....You learn something new everyday
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Brigadier General

Default V-2

The V-2 rocket (German: Vergeltungswaffe 2) was the first ballistic missile and first man-made object to achieve sub-orbital spaceflight, the progenitor of all modern rockets including the Saturn V moon rocket. Over 3,000 V-2s were launched as military rockets by the German Wehrmacht against Allied targets in World War II, resulting in the death of 7,250, military personnel and civilians, while as many as 20,000 at Mittelbau-Dora died constructing V-2s. This sets the record for the weapon that caused more deaths building it than from using it; most who died in the constructon process were German prisoners

Period of Production
Up to 15 Sep 1944 -1900
15 Sep to 29 Oct 1944- 900
29 Oct to 24 Nov 1944- 600
24 Nov to 15 Jan 1945 -1100
15 Jan to 15 Feb 1945- 700
Total 5200

After Hitler's August 29 declaration to begin Operation Penguin as soon as possible and German agent 'Artist' informed agent 'Tricycle' in September to leave London due to impending danger, the offensive began on September 8, 1944, when Lehr und Versuchs Batterie No. 444[23] (English: Training and Testing Battery 444) launched a single rocket guided by a radio beam directed at Paris[18] which caused modest damage near Porte d'Italie.[7]:218,220,467 The 485th at The Hague launched two against London the same day at 6:43 pm,[9]:285 -- the first landed at Chiswick and killed 63 yr old Mrs Ada Harrison, 3 yr old Rosemary Clarke, and Sapper Bernard Browning on leave from the Royal Engineers.[10]:11 Upon hearing the double-crack of the supersonic rocket (London's first-ever), Duncan Sandys and Reginald Victor Jones looked up from different parts of the city and exclaimed 'That was a rocket!', and a short while after the double-crack, the sky was filled with the sound of a heavy body rushing through the air.[9]:286 Explosions could be attributed to other causes or to no particular cause. The Germans themselves finally announced the V-2 on 8 November 1944 and only then, on 10 November 1944, did Winston Churchill inform Parliament, and the world, that England had been under rocket attack "for the last few weeks".

Over the next few months the number of V-2s fired was at least 3,172, distributed over the various targets as follows:

Aftermath of a V-2 rocket attack on the main intersection in Antwerp, Belgium, November 27, 1944 1664: Antwerp (1610), Liege (27), Hasselt (13), Tournai (9), Mons (3), Diest (2)
1402: London (1358), Norwich (43),[9]p289 Ipswich (1) 76: Lille (25), Paris (22), Tourcoing (19), Arras (6), Cambrai (4)
Maastricht 19
Remagen 11
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	448px-Fus%C3%A9e_V2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	369   Click image for larger version

Name:	449px-V-2_rocket_diagram_%28with_English_labels%29_svg.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	370  

كافر

Old 11-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
The V-2 rocket (German: Vergeltungswaffe 2) was the first ballistic missile and first man-made object to achieve sub-orbital spaceflight, the progenitor of all modern rockets including the Saturn V moon rocket. Over 3,000 V-2s were launched as military rockets by the German Wehrmacht against Allied targets in World War II, resulting in the death of 7,250, military personnel and civilians, while as many as 20,000 at Mittelbau-Dora died constructing V-2s. This sets the record for the weapon that caused more deaths building it than from using it; most who died in the constructon process were German prisoners

Period of Production
Up to 15 Sep 1944 -1900
15 Sep to 29 Oct 1944- 900
29 Oct to 24 Nov 1944- 600
24 Nov to 15 Jan 1945 -1100
15 Jan to 15 Feb 1945- 700
Total 5200

After Hitler's August 29 declaration to begin Operation Penguin as soon as possible and German agent 'Artist' informed agent 'Tricycle' in September to leave London due to impending danger, the offensive began on September 8, 1944, when Lehr und Versuchs Batterie No. 444[23] (English: Training and Testing Battery 444) launched a single rocket guided by a radio beam directed at Paris[18] which caused modest damage near Porte d'Italie.[7]:218,220,467 The 485th at The Hague launched two against London the same day at 6:43 pm,[9]:285 -- the first landed at Chiswick and killed 63 yr old Mrs Ada Harrison, 3 yr old Rosemary Clarke, and Sapper Bernard Browning on leave from the Royal Engineers.[10]:11 Upon hearing the double-crack of the supersonic rocket (London's first-ever), Duncan Sandys and Reginald Victor Jones looked up from different parts of the city and exclaimed 'That was a rocket!', and a short while after the double-crack, the sky was filled with the sound of a heavy body rushing through the air.[9]:286 Explosions could be attributed to other causes or to no particular cause. The Germans themselves finally announced the V-2 on 8 November 1944 and only then, on 10 November 1944, did Winston Churchill inform Parliament, and the world, that England had been under rocket attack "for the last few weeks".

Over the next few months the number of V-2s fired was at least 3,172, distributed over the various targets as follows:

Aftermath of a V-2 rocket attack on the main intersection in Antwerp, Belgium, November 27, 1944 1664: Antwerp (1610), Liege (27), Hasselt (13), Tournai (9), Mons (3), Diest (2)
1402: London (1358), Norwich (43),[9]p289 Ipswich (1) 76: Lille (25), Paris (22), Tourcoing (19), Arras (6), Cambrai (4)
Maastricht 19
Remagen 11
Nasty piece of kit

Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Nasty piece of kit
Evil mate...Hardly no defence against them...no warning...caused havoc to southern England

The Tomahawks great Grandad

كافر

Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Recruit

I love my Mosin Nagant... Old Russian rifle that fires a 7.62-54R round. I'm accurate to about 150 meters with it using iron sights, though it will bruise the christ out of your shoulder after 40 shots hehe.

Looking forward to BT, I want a marksmanship badge bad!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Second Lieutenant

FG 42, paratroop rifle
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FG_42[/url]

Missiles,

Ruhrstahl X-4
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhrstahl_X-4[/url]
Schmetterling
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmetterling[/url]
Wasserfall
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserfall[/url]

Goliath, tracked mine
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_tracked_mine[/url]

Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Brigadier General

That Ruhrstahl X-4 Air-Air looks a little like the Sea Cat Naval SAM(on looks alone)....Its amazing how much the weapons of war progress in a short amount of time

كافر

Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
That Ruhrstahl X-4 Air-Air looks a little like the Sea Cat Naval SAM(on looks alone)....Its amazing how much the weapons of war progress in a short amount of time
indeed. well weapons from the german side that is.. advanced radar systems from british,
and logistics etc. from the american side..
but it does still amaze me how most of the modern day "basic" weaponry has roots in
the german ww2 desings with few exeptions like the bazooka mentioned earlier.

now.. when you measure the cost of the "achievements" in war time... it becomes
more than obvious that the "social development" of mankind lags behind way behind
the technological marvels we uncover with this deadly "sport" of sorrow.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
indeed. well weapons from the german side that is.. advanced radar systems from british,
and logistics etc. from the american side..
but it does still amaze me how most of the modern day "basic" weaponry has roots in
the german ww2 desings with few exeptions like the bazooka mentioned earlier.

now.. when you measure the cost of the "achievements" in war time... it becomes
more than obvious that the "social development" of mankind lags behind way behind
the technological marvels we uncover with this deadly "sport" of sorrow.

Yeah...the Germans had some "fine"(depending on your viewpoint) pieces on their hands towards the end of WWII...there was just no way they could produce them fast enough nor in the numbers needed to change to the tide....The writing was alredy on the wall...having said that though their tanks and jet aircraft were the fathers of what we see today

If Hitler wasnt a few penny short of a pound the things in had in his back pocket could have changed the course...It was a case of not using the right things...at the right time(because he was barking mad and couldnt see reality)

كافر

Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Major General

Quote:

If Hitler wasnt a few penny short of a pound the things in had in his back pocket could have changed the course...It was a case of not using the right things...at the right time(because he was barking mad and couldnt see reality)
I don't think Hitler was Mad as in insane. He had a belief which you and I don't share. That doesn't make him mad. He was prepared to sanction the death of millions to further Germanies cause. That alone doesn't make him mad, it does however show a complete lack of empathy for mankind.

Tags
gear, museum, weapons, ww1, ww2