armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Recruit

Default When will he get paid

Hello everyone, I am new to this life. My husband leave for OSUT in May. One of my biggest questions is when will he start getting paid? Will he only get paid once a month or will he get paid after he has graduated OSUT? If he gets paid, will he get paid BAH for his family living back home until he gets his first assignment or will we have to move to GA to get support? Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just trying to make sure we are completely finacially ready for this career move. Thank you to anyone and everyone that can answer my questions.

Staci

Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Payday

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-soldier-my-hero View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this life. My husband leave for OSUT in May. One of my biggest questions is when will he start getting paid? Will he only get paid once a month or will he get paid after he has graduated OSUT? If he gets paid, will he get paid BAH for his family living back home until he gets his first assignment or will we have to move to GA to get support? Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just trying to make sure we are completely finacially ready for this career move. Thank you to anyone and everyone that can answer my questions.

Staci
Your Soldier will be paid no later than the end of the month on the first month he serves. If he arrived on say the 12th of the month, they pro-rate his pay towards the end of the month. The Army pays Bi-monthly. On the 1st and the 15th. He will be required to have direct deposit so make sure you have all his bank information before he leaves so you will have access to his funds. The BAH is a different story. Hopefully the Army will have his BAH figured out before his first payday. If not then it will also be pro-rated and paid the following payday. Dont plan on seeing the BAH on his first check. If you do then consider yourself lucky.
Tell you Soldier wr are proud of him and we will keep him in our prayers.
GOOD LUCK

Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Corporal

In addition to the above message: BAH for newly enlisted individuals is a little confusing. My husband has been gone a little over 4 weeks and I finally figured it out!!! WOOHOO. The first 30 days, I know my husband received something called or termed BAH RC/T (?) which was 604.50 for individuals with dependents. After the first thirty days, he receives BAH Type I. This is the same as any other active duty BAH. You can google BAH rates 2009 and there are charts or there is website that will help you calculate your BAH by zipcode, rank, etc. Also, about 30 days into his training, he will be able to set up a myPay account. This is where he can log in to view his LES a few days before the money gets dropped in your account. E-1 pay is 1400.00 before taxes. Also, if he is more than a certain amount of miles away, you and your family qualify for FSA (family separation allowance). It is 250.00 for everyone, I think. My husband's first pay went in our account about 3 weeks after he left. He left Feb. 25th and we received his first pay on March 17th. His next pay, according to his LES online, is supposed to be deposited April 1st. BAH is split between both checks, paid out on the 1st and 15th. That was something else that confused me because for March, we got a lump BAH.

I am still learning, and I am doing a lot of the research on my own. Be prepared! It is hard to find the EXACT answers all the time, but if you search and read hard enough and long enough, you find what you are looking for. I really like military.com and about.com has a whole section on the military. These two sites are where I have found the majority of my information. It is broken down and in layman's terms, which makes it easy to understand.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Recruit

Thank you so much for answering my questions. You have helped me out a lot. I have been doing as much research as I could, but getting the information from someone else going through it is helpful. It is nice to know that he will get paid while in basic. Again, thank you.
Staci

Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Corporal

Your welcome! I know how hard it is for me without having a direct source to answer all of my questions! I am no expert, but I am definitely learning a bit as it goes along...

Old 04-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Corporal

The website below is the official BAH website. It contains the rates that are used by the pay system. Put in the required information and you will get the BAH informaiton for your area.

[url]http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html[/url]

If you want to know how BAH is computed, see the "BAH Primer" on that page. Also, see the FAQ's. Good information on this page for BAH and this is the office in charge of this area.

Some other Military Pay information is located at :
[url]http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay.html[/url]
or
[url]http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/[/url]

The BAH question:
BAH II (Reserve Component/Transit)

BAH-II (RC/T) is the housing allowance for members in particular circumstances, for example, reservists on active duty less than 30 days. It also applies when a member is in transit from selected areas where no prior BAH rate existed. It does not vary by geographic location. BAH-II (RC/T) was set based on the old Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ), which was based on the national average for housing. BAH-II is published annually and is determined by increasing the previous year's table by the percentage growth of housing costs.

Active Duty are paid on the 1st and 15th. The Guard and Reserve can be paid at different times throughout the month, depending on the type of tour.

For the Active Duty side, changes to the military paycheck are stopped about 7 WORKDAYS prior to the actual payday. (for example in March, the 5th of March was the last accepted input for the 15th payday. Mind you the payday was actually the 13th since the 15th was on a weekend.) Anything input to the paysystem after the 5th would show on the next payday.

The Reserve side works along the same lines but with different (and shorter) time lines for the multiple paydays. Too complicated to elaborate here.

Hope this helps.