armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Private

Default Enlistment before graduation of H.S.

I'm a sophomore in high school, and I will be 17 in December, in my Junior year of high school. Some people I have talked to in my school have told me that it is possible to enlist and ship out when i graduate, kind of like ensuring your spot in the military.

So basically what I'm saying, is it possible for me to enlist when I'm 17 in my junior year of high school, and ship out for boot camp when i graduate? I'm planning to take the ASVAB in my Junior year too, if possible. Any information on how to apply for the ASVAB would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Corporal

Talk with your local recruiter and ask about the Delayed Entry Program. Basically what that does is you pass your ASVAB, go to MEPS and get your physical and enlist, but you dont ship out for up to a year. During that time to meet with your recruiter once a week and do PT and learn drills and such. Plus you will go to BCT as an E-2 that way.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Private

Alright thanks a bunch. :P

Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Corporal

Anytime..good luck!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 AM
Brigadier General

When you enlist in the delayed entry program you have up to 365 days to report to BCT. Everything that you get in your contract will still be valid whether or not the Army still offers it - things like bonuses, enlistment options, etc. will still be honored & you'll have reservations in place for a slot at BCT & AIT or OSUT.

Please realize that all bets are off if you sign up as a H.S. graduate & then decide to drop out of school & advance your ship date to an earlier time. It's been done in the past. If your bonus or MOS choice depends on a H.S. or GED+15 diploma & you don't get one it'll be recinded.

If you care to have some advice thrown your, way let me say that you shouldn't enlist until after the summer rush. I don't know if Recruiting has the projections for summer 2010's MOS requirements yet. At this time some MOSs are hard to get due to the rush of H.S. & college graduations coming up. Army Recruiting is meeting or exceeding its recruiting goal. Once those lists of grads are exhausted things will open up as far as MOSs, bonuses , & accepting waivers again.

If you wait until fall or winter to sign up you'll beat next year's summer rush & you'll e able to do the Future Soldier Program which will allow you to enter the army one grade higher.\

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Private

I've been seeing that the Army seems to be just about filled with everyone they want, but how full is the Marines right now? They seem to be trying to attract recruits. Any un-biased explanation for that? Haha.

I'm kind of jammed in between which branch to go into right now, but thank god i have a year or two to really think about it.

Thanks for the information so far.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:38 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzur View Post
I've been seeing that the Army seems to be just about filled with everyone they want, but how full is the Marines right now? They seem to be trying to attract recruits. Any un-biased explanation for that? Haha.

I'm kind of jammed in between which branch to go into right now, but thank god i have a year or two to really think about it.

Thanks for the information so far.
Every branch is a little filled up right now. To be honest, the marines, navy, and air force are even worse. They have less jobs then the army and most of their spots are filled.

The choice as to which branch is entirely up to you. Research them all and draw up your own conclusion. Just make sure that it's what you really want, you don't want to be kicking yourself in the *** later for it.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Private

Lol alright, I'll look into that.

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Brigadier General

If you're a sophomore now that means that as of next fall you still have 2 years of school left. You wouldn't be able to enlist until you complete your junior year. You can only delay your entry one year. Enlist after junior year - leave after graduation = one year. Your best bet would be to wait until winter of your junior year to enlist. You'd leave in about 6 months then if you wanted to & you'd beat the rush of graduates in June. At this time I wouldn't worry about how full the Army is compared to the Corps. It might be altogether different next year.

A little true story :

A young man in our Judo cliub wanted to join the Marine Corps. He signed for a 5 year active duty enlistment. He could not get a Force Recon contract (similar to the Army's Rangers) nor did he get one penny for a bonus. My son showed him what he could have gotten in the Army at that time. A four year enlistment for Infantry would have gotten him $15,000 in bonus money. Option 40 Ranger contracts were available & he would have gotten an additional $8000 for Airborne School & RIP. He wound up being Honor Graduate. For that he received a Dress Blue uniform & a promotion to E 2. He would have gotten E 2 in the Army just for being in the Delayed Entry & taken some Future Soldier classes.

I have no idea how the Corps gets recruits. I can see if it's a family tradition but this young man's dad is a retired Army MSG like me. Dad was not overjoyed that his son chose the Corps over the Army!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Tags
enlistment asvab