armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Second Lieutenant

Default ????

My boyfriend's mom, his sister, his grandma, my mom, and I have been sending Michael letters almost daily. We have the address correct, it's the address that he writes as the return address on his letters to us, and it's the same address he gave me over the phone. I got a letter from him yesterday, and according to him, he hasn't received a single letter.. He told his mom the same thing when he called her on Mother's Day..

None of us have sent contraband, and we've been using plain white envelopes.

This is his 2nd week of BCT at Fort Benning (he spent 2 weeks in Reception.) Why isn't he getting our letters?

Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryShortcake View Post
My boyfriend's mom, his sister, his grandma, my mom, and I have been sending Michael letters almost daily. We have the address correct, it's the address that he writes as the return address on his letters to us, and it's the same address he gave me over the phone. I got a letter from him yesterday, and according to him, he hasn't received a single letter.. He told his mom the same thing when he called her on Mother's Day..

None of us have sent contraband, and we've been using plain white envelopes.

This is his 2nd week of BCT at Fort Benning (he spent 2 weeks in Reception.) Why isn't he getting our letters?

Im not really sure of how it works in the US....have you got a contact number for HR at Ft Ben?

Letters go through a process but 2 weeks sounds a long time.....Armygirl would be your best bet for correct information on this type of thing
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Im not really sure of how it works in the US....have you got a contact number for HR at Ft Ben?

Letters go through a process but 2 weeks sounds a long time.....Armygirl would be your best bet for correct information on this type of thing
I think his mom said that she's going to call someone..

I looked it up, and several websites said that the army postal service is crap, and that sometimes the guys in BCT won't get any letters til weeks after you send them, and when they finally do get the letters, they get a ton of them at one time..
I don't know if maybe that's what is going on, or if they're just withholding letters..

Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Captain

The problem with the mail service at training posts is that it all goes to one big central location on post. Then it is broken down there and then it's the unit's responsibility to go and pick up the mail. The mail isn't delivered to the unit, one of the Drill Sergeant's has to go get it. Only 2 or so Drills are listed as postal clerks so if for some reason they can't go pick up the mail, it doesn't get picked up. The first couple weeks of basic are intense and it's during the first phase where DS are pretty much with the Soldiers 24/7. I know that isn't a good answer or even one that seems fair.

And even if you are mailing the letter to the address he is mailing from, he may have his address too basic and has left off a crucial number or letter. Clerks don't have time to hunt down a unit so his mail my be floating around the post somewhere. If it hasn't been returned yet, that's a good sign it's working it's way through the painfully slow system and will eventually get to him.

If you want to PM me his address, I can see if it might be something missing.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
The problem with the mail service at training posts is that it all goes to one big central location on post. Then it is broken down there and then it's the unit's responsibility to go and pick up the mail. The mail isn't delivered to the unit, one of the Drill Sergeant's has to go get it. Only 2 or so Drills are listed as postal clerks so if for some reason they can't go pick up the mail, it doesn't get picked up. The first couple weeks of basic are intense and it's during the first phase where DS are pretty much with the Soldiers 24/7. I know that isn't a good answer or even one that seems fair.

And even if you are mailing the letter to the address he is mailing from, he may have his address too basic and has left off a crucial number or letter. Clerks don't have time to hunt down a unit so his mail my be floating around the post somewhere. If it hasn't been returned yet, that's a good sign it's working it's way through the painfully slow system and will eventually get to him.

If you want to PM me his address, I can see if it might be something missing.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I read... That seems pretty unfair to the recruits.. At least his mom told him that we are writing when he called on Mother's Day.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
I think his mom said that she's going to call someone..

I looked it up, and several websites said that the army postal service is crap, and that sometimes the guys in BCT won't get any letters til weeks after you send them, and when they finally do get the letters, they get a ton of them at one time..
I don't know if maybe that's what is going on, or if they're just withholding letters..
Armygirl has nailed it...I didnt get any letters for about 9 days then I received about 20 odd in bulk(try not to worry)

Remember these type of things are good conditioning for you...if your BF is deployed there might be times where you have no/little contact for months....at least you get phone calls now mate.

كافر

Old 05-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Armygirl has nailed it...I didnt get any letters for about 9 days then I received about 20 odd in bulk(try not to worry)

Remember these type of things are good conditioning for you...if your BF is deployed there might be times where you have no/little contact for months....at least you get phone calls now mate.
We've been sending mail for over 2 weeks. It's ridiculous that the postal service there doesn't deliver to the units, and we have to rely on a DS.. The recruits and family are told they they can communicate through letters.. How are you supposed to communicate when a DS won't go get the mail? It's not fair to the family or the recruit.

and I wish I got phone calls! I haven't gotten a phone call since May 2nd, and i don't expect any anytime soon..

Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
We've been sending mail for over 2 weeks. It's ridiculous that the postal service there doesn't deliver to the units, and we have to rely on a DS.. The recruits and family are told they they can communicate through letters.. How are you supposed to communicate when a DS won't go get the mail? It's not fair to the family or the recruit.

and I wish I got phone calls! I haven't gotten a phone call since May 2nd, and i don't expect any anytime soon..
Its just the way the Army works lass....its one of those things that are part and parcel(read the small print)if the Drill is the one who is tasked with sorting out the mail...then its in his hands..they are busy buggers.

During my first stint in the Army I was in a relationship and I was stationed in another country... its hard(but only if one or both of you make it that way)

circumstances can be a load of bollocks and my heart goes out to you...if you except the BS the good times are all that much sweeter.

Remember...restrictions will ease once he is through basic.

Weather the storm mate

كافر

Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Its just the way the Army works lass....its one of those things that are part and parcel(read the small print)if the Drill is the one who is tasked with sorting out the mail...then its in his hands..they are busy buggers.

During my first stint in the Army I was in a relationship and I was stationed in another country... its hard(but only if one or both of you make it that way)

circumstances can be a load of bollocks and my heart goes out to you...if you except the BS the good times are all that much sweeter.

Remember...restrictions will ease once he is through basic.

Weather the storm mate
Yeah, I'm putting up with it, it's just annoying though, he's dying to hear from everyone.. Poor Michael

I know it'll get better though..