armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 AM
Major General

Default The Lancaster bomber

[URL="http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1488655367/bctid1883505465"]Guided tour[/URL] around the famous bomber

Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Brigadier General

..nice

i wonder how cold it most have been in the turrets.
our list of bombers were kinda international since we
operated German, British, and soviet stuff sametime.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Recruit

Face it,Lancasters were badass

Old 10-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Major General

Default RAF Bomber Command: Bee Gees Robin Gibb is major supporter

By Gordon Rayner, Chief Reporter
Last Updated: 9:09AM GMT 28 Oct 2008

[URL="http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1488655367/bctid1886150406"]Vid[/URL]

One of the most passionate supporters of the campaign to build a memorial to the heroes of Bomber Command is the Bee Gees' Robin Gibb.

As president of the Heritage Foundation, a showbusiness-based charity which raises money for plaques and memorials to British achievers, Mr Gibb has decided that the Foundation's fundraising activities this year should be channelled into the Bomber Command Memorial Fund.

He said: "I have had a lifelong interest in the Second World War and in this country's contribution to the rights and freedoms of Europe during two world wars.

"It is part of our tradition and something we should be proud of. These brave men freed Europe, including Germany, from a criminal regime and for me it's really clear-cut that these guys should be honoured.

"As early as 1940 Churchill said the war would be won in the air and he was right in the end. It was the only force that could bring Hitler to heel.

"We have lived through the longest peace in Europe and it is down to the men of Bomber Command. That is their legacy.

"Building a memorial does not glorify war, it is setting an example to young people today about sacrifice, accountability and pride in free people everywhere.

"This memorial is something I feel really passionate about and something I want to put my mark on by helping raise money. I'm just glad that I can be part of this."

Old 10-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Brigadier General

Nice thread....all good things come from Lancs
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
..nice

i wonder how cold it most have been in the turrets.
our list of bombers were kinda international since we
operated German, British, and soviet stuff sametime.
My guess would be....it was freezing in those turrets....the tail gunners must have had their bollocks on tight...Imagine looking out and seeing a Messerschmitt inbound...you Vs them..

كافر

Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Major General

Default Bomber Command veterans to wear flying gear for remembrance parade

[URL="http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1873823068/bctid1883505466"]vid[/URL]

Bomber Command veterans will stage a unique tribute to their 55,000 fallen comrades at this Sunday's Remembrance Day parade by wearing their Second World War flying jackets and carrying their leather flying helmets when they lay a wreath at the Cenotaph.

The retired airmen hope their moving gesture will not only highlight Bomber Command's sacrifice during the war but also raise awareness of the campaign for a long-overdue memorial to the men who gave their lives during the bomber offensive.

Telegraph readers have already donated more than 70,000 to the Forgotten Heroes appeal for a 2 million memorial in central London, with donations well on course to top 100,000 once gift aid contributions are added to the total.

Douglas Radcliffe, secretary of the Bomber Command Association, will be one of four veterans in the front row of the Bomber Command section of the parade who will be wearing an original sheepskin Irvine jacket and carrying a flying helmet.

Mr Radcliffe, an 84-year-old former Wellington bomber wireless operator, said: "In previous years people have always told us they can't pick out the Bomber Command veterans because, unlike many other branches of the services, we don't wear anything distinctive, like a cap, which might identify us, so we don't even get mentioned.

"So this year we decided to wear our flying jackets and carry our helmets so people will be able to identify us in the crowd.

"Like a lot of veterans, I still have my Irvine jacket which I wore on operations, and I'll be wearing it with pride."

The Irvine jacket, named after its Canadian inventor Leslie Leroy Irvine, was the original "bomber jacket" and was an essential part of every airman's uniform during the war, when aircraft flew at altitudes where temperatures plunged to minus 40C, with little or no heating inside the aeroplane.

Bomber Command suffered the highest casualty rate of any unit during the war, with only 27 out of every 100 airmen completing a tour of 30 operations.

Their sacrifice has never been honoured with a national memorial, and the appeal to build one has drawn a magnificent response from Telegraph readers.

Mr Radcliffe said: "We are just so grateful to everyone who has contributed so far, and equally grateful for the touching letters which so many people have sent with their donations, which has shown us just how much public support there is for this memorial.

"We had hoped to send out a letter of thanks to each and every donor, but the sheer number of people who have sent donations means that has become impossible, so please pass on our heartfelt thanks."

Old 11-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Brigadier General

We should cherish those boys....what a generation

كافر

Old 11-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
My guess would be....it was freezing in those turrets....the tail gunners must have had their bollocks on tight...Imagine looking out and seeing a Messerschmitt inbound...you Vs them..
Temperatures were about -40c

Old 11-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Temperatures were about -40c
Nice one...I didnt know the temps were that low

كافر