Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 03-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Private First Class

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanson View Post
Well I got the last call today from my son till graduation. He has another cold . . . seems some guy took pop tarts from the mess hall and drill sgt found them but the guy wouldn't fess up. So entire company did pushup after pushup in the rain and cold and mud in just pants and t-shirts! No winter clothing. They did this for 2 1/2 hrs.

Anyway . . . what I found confusing was that he told me C-Company is still in Red Phase because of all the mess ups some guys keep doing like the pop tart thing. Honestly . . . you would think after 6 weeks they would figure it out and stop causing trouble!!!

So here's what I'm confused about . . . it was my understanding that ALL phases had to be completed in order to graduate. If so, how in the heck are they gonna go from red phase to the end in like two weeks????

I'm concerned that the company won't graduate on the 20th and will be extremely ticked if that is the case! Esp at this late date and after chunking down close to $1300.00 (non-refundable) for travel expenses. ARGHHHHH

Any input from you others on this???

Hello! Im new here but I was reading these posts and I just want to say that muy husband is in ft jackson for bct left on jan 27th. he to told me about this very painful work out they had to do in the mud and freezing rain and that they are only in phase red because some people are messing up all the time. he told me though that it was not pop tarts it was oreos. and that someone also pulled the fire alarm, said there are alot of people that are not following direction. but what i've also been told by retired military in my family is that sometimes they make it look like there are things going on only to make it look like its worse than usual. that they these things are actually planned... i dont know how true that is but i hope for my husbands sake that it is because he says that day was the worst by far since he has been there. however he never told me anything about PUs for letters and packages, he tells me to keep the letters coming! as far as graduation is concerned, isnt there someone you can call to confirm? did you get a letter from the comander with contact phone numbers on it? let me know if you didnt and i can give them to you, i think they are on the ft jackson website as well. my husband said that he is supposed to be in "white phase" and that he is stuck in red because all the people acting up. he said at first his graduation was sch for 04/10 but now it may be pushed to 04/17. he is b company 3 13th.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Sergeant

I agree Mshanson! 2/60th is pretty tough. They have no freedom! My husband has only been allowed 4 phone calls since he's been there. He is also only allowed 6 photos. I'm not sure about the push-ups for letters only because he hasn't mentioned it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had to. My husband mentioned that they sometimes hold their mail for days at a time. In my opinion, I don't think the term "Relaxin Jackson" applies any longer, or at least for the 2/60th. I'm just so happy i get to see him in 2 weeks and BCT it's finally over!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Corporal

it's comin up fast!! i got a call yesterday after receiving no call sunday but i know that B company at least left for victory forge today. also if your soldier is staying in fort jackson for AIT they receive an overnight pass the saturday after graduation because they sign up for their AIT that morning. and apparently my boyfriend told me it's a four day pass so now we're in a scramble to try and change our flights and hotel reservations so we can stay until tuesday! don't you all just love finding everything out at the last minute?

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Private

I know how you feel. My husband is actually in Boot Camp at Fort Jackson and has been there since mid January. Since he left, I had been writing him letters. When I finally got the address, I had sent a pile of ten letters waiting to be sent. He wrote me back, saying that they really gave it to him for getting so many and since some were written in BLUE INK (which is a big no no that I didn't know about ) they made him do A LOT of push ups. I felt so bad, but at the same time he also said that the letters bring him so much happiness and since the push ups and sit ups are part of the experience, he doesn't mind enduring them because the letters from his loved ones are worth it.

My advice is to keep writing him. Unless he says not to, I think for both his peace of mind and for your own, just keep writing him. Physical Fitness is part of the training so it's not like he won't be doing them any way for any other reason that wouldn't be his fault. I think words of comfort from his mom is totally worth it to him. He seems like an awesome guy to have a great mother who thinks about him all the time. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanson View Post
Hi I'm new to this forum. My son left for Basic on Jan. 6th. so that makes 4 weeks into basic this Tuesday and it seems like 4 months on my end of things Or maybe it's just bad today because we didn't get a phone call? We have heard from him for the last 3 Sundays but not today and I sooooo count on that phone call. I spent the evening going from being sad to worried lol. Anyone else going thru this?

So far his one letter and calls have been upbeat about everything but the weather. It's been pretty cold there, much different from Texas. Seems someone stole his beanie the first week so his head is cold all the time (grin). But the last call he sounded very, very, tired and maybe a bit homesick? I expected that to happen at some point but it was hard to hear.

I'd love some input here though . . . in many places on the army site, the Ft.Jackson website, where it talks about Basic Training and what they go thru, it says . . . "we encourage the family to send letters and photos" . . . BUT . . . his drill srgt told everyone they would be doing 50 pushups and situps for every letter or package they received! Long story short . . . my son had asked that I send him his cell phone because the phones they use there have awful connections. I verified with his recruiter that this was ok to send. Last call he said he had signed for the package 3 days priror and was still doing pushups and situps every day because of the package! Sooooooo now even though I'd love to send him a letter with a funny photo .......... I am extremely hesitant to do so!!! I mean why on earth would I want to be the cause of him having to do more situps and pushups????

Has anyone else been thru this? Am I the only one not sending anything for fear I will cause him trouble? LOL.

Anyway . . . we are very proud of him and his choice to join the army but just having a hard time adjusting to not being able to talk with him and knowing how or if we can communicate with him on any level.

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to reply.

Down in the dumps mom

Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jeepchick4 View Post
it's comin up fast!! i got a call yesterday after receiving no call sunday but i know that B company at least left for victory forge today. also if your soldier is staying in fort jackson for AIT they receive an overnight pass the saturday after graduation because they sign up for their AIT that morning. and apparently my boyfriend told me it's a four day pass so now we're in a scramble to try and change our flights and hotel reservations so we can stay until tuesday! don't you all just love finding everything out at the last minute?
I know what you mean! I wasn't sure to book a one-way or a round-trip ticket to ft. Jackson, because I was waiting to find out if I could take my husband to AIT. Now that I finally know we can, I tried looking for a ticket online, but prices have skyrocketed! Now I have to resort to driving cross country with the in-laws. All the way from Los Angeles, CA to Columbia, SC! This will definitely be the longest trip of my life! Especially, because I will have my 4yr old with me. Oh well, that just means more time with the hubby

BTW Bina...your making me feel bad 10 letters??? Wow, I thought I was doing good with 3 or 4 letters a week, lol!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Recruit

Default daughter in Fort Jackson

I have a daughter in Fort Jackson. My dtr said it was 25 a letter and 50 for packages, I think. They need the letters though. In one of her return letters she told me she had a bad day and then she received a letter from me and her bf and she felt better. I make sure she always has one, however, I think they are holding some back. I have replied to a question she asked in 3 different letters, she didn't get my 3 replies. I am also concerned about the suicide rate. I seriously don't understand how someone that wants to join the military, goes to boot camp and kills themselves or even attempts too. I also don't understand why this isn't major news. People told me don't think about those things, but if you don't, who will stop it? I am praying for all our children, husbands and wives in the military, everywhere.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Second Lieutenant

Don't stop writing. You are their lifeline! My son never once complained about getting letters, he begged for them. I know what you mean about phone calls, I got precious few. To this day I am not sure whether he wasn't calling anyone or if he just wasn't calling me. He has a daughter and I know her and her mom got a few more calls than I did. If there are guys making trouble in the group, and his group had some, then sometimes they will punish the whole unit until the stories get straightened out. There were guys in his unit that were denied passes for parents weekend.

I just want you to know that basic does end. When it does, there will be other things that you don't like or don't agree with. But, they are in the Army, and that's the way it is. It's ok to vent, I have done it many times on this forum. I have learned to accept most of the army ways. I hear from my son, not as much as I want to, but as much as he wants me to. The closer he gets to deployment the less I hear from him. This made me angry the first time he went, until he explained he was training me not to hear from him for extended time periods and I needed to relax. Hard to do. Now he is preparing to go again, and this time there is a new wife, so I expect even less communication.

Hang in there!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Private First Class

Thumbs up

Not long now 2/60th!!!!!!!! 12 Days to go . . . WOOOOOHOOOO the worst is over lol.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Corporal

i agree! but now the days will go by slow because it's coming up.... sorta like christmas lol.
BTW has anyone gotten a letter with one of the pictures the soldiers took in uniform? my boyfriend said that they'd done the pictures already and he was going to send me one but instead is keeping it a surprise

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 03-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Sergeant

Really??? My husband has not mentioned anything about photos I hope he took them. That would be a nice surprise to see pictures of them in their uniform. I'm am so excited I can't wait!!! Only 11 more days to go if you consider family day !!!