armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Private First Class

Exclamation Very Confused lol

Well I got the last call today from my son till graduation. He has another cold . . . seems some guy took pop tarts from the mess hall and drill sgt found them but the guy wouldn't fess up. So entire company did pushup after pushup in the rain and cold and mud in just pants and t-shirts! No winter clothing. They did this for 2 1/2 hrs.

Anyway . . . what I found confusing was that he told me C-Company is still in Red Phase because of all the mess ups some guys keep doing like the pop tart thing. Honestly . . . you would think after 6 weeks they would figure it out and stop causing trouble!!!

So here's what I'm confused about . . . it was my understanding that ALL phases had to be completed in order to graduate. If so, how in the heck are they gonna go from red phase to the end in like two weeks????

I'm concerned that the company won't graduate on the 20th and will be extremely ticked if that is the case! Esp at this late date and after chunking down close to $1300.00 (non-refundable) for travel expenses. ARGHHHHH

Any input from you others on this???

Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Private First Class

I forgot to put this in my earlier post . . . while talking with my son I discover that he has lost like 20 lbs while there, largely from being sick. He has had the flu since about the 3rd week and from what I can gather, they are not doing anything much to help him get well? And this is a kid who didn't have 20 lbs to loose! Also a kid who has never been a whiner when it comes to being ill. I've seen him wrestle on a mat, on a knee that was swollen twice normal size because of a staff infection, refusing to go to the hospital till after the wrestling match was over.

He left here in very good physical condition and health and I'm beginning to think I will find my son a walking skeleton at graduation! What's up with that???

Sorry I'm not normally a whiner either but I'm deff not happy about entrusting the safety of my child, 20 yrs old or not, to someone who doesn't have the sense to watch out for his health! ARGHHHH

(thanks for listening lol)

Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Captain

Actually it's not uncommon for Soldiers to drop weight when they go to BCT. They burn a lot of calories. He may have dropped weight and even after being sick have gained more muscle mass. Believe it or not the Drill Sergeants are watching over your son and if they are concerned about his illness and such they will get him to sick call.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Private First Class

Thanks much for the response. Actually, because he has not been able to work out properly, what he has lost is partly muscle mass as well as weight. His strength has also gone downhill. I found pics of him at the website and you can tell that it's him but when I first showed the pics to other family members they said it wasn't him because in the pic he looked so small lol. There realy is a BIG diff in his appearance in the photos. What you have to realize is we are talking about a kid who has worked out diligently for over 8 years. One that has always been extremely disciplined about the food he eats and weight training. He doesn't eat sweets, drink cokes, or any type of sugar items. One that left here with well defined muscles and could lift twice or more of his body weight. Sad to think that all that hard work over the years has gone to waste during this time. I'll be glad when he is done with this and can get his body back in shape because I know how important it is to him.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Corporal

Default thank must be what 1 and a half weeks of debreif is for?

Ha! I am not so sure I agree with "those on the inside" LOL The reality is that the "squeaky wheel gets fixed" So I guess if he was sick and just didn't say anything.. not sure... but it sounds worse than than doing PT for seeking medical attention for puking from the flu.
I am sorry about your son.
I am sure that the week and 1/2 of debrief will help them physically as the demands of "combat training" and "team army" are very rigorious.
Just think 17 more days. So much for the Easy Jackson metaphor? I think that metaphor is B***S***, especially when comparing to BCT stories from new recruit from other bases.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Corporal

yup, everyone always calls it relaxin jackson but from the things i've heard in the past two months i would also have to disagree with that lol. but yes, there are only two and a half more weeks! it came pretty quickly, seems like just yesterday we were kissin them all goodbye lol

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Sergeant First Class

Man I would of loved going to fort jackson but I went to knox I got 3 phone calls was only allowed 6 photos and only authorized personnel hygene and writing material from the shoppette we had to do 30 pushups a letter and if we had multiple letters it was pushups sit ups and flutter kicks but for all you moms and girlfriend and wives out there your sons,daughter's husbands and wives are getting into shape and it will help them with thier army carrer and just think it is only 9 weeks and basic is over the regular army unit is so much different but pt never stops

Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Private First Class

Yup almost over thank goodness!!! To bad they didnt put up more photos huh. Has anyone heard anything about the "memory book" you can buy at graduation? I'm sure my son won't want one (now) but I think he will enjoy it later on so thought I'd pick one up.

Read at AIT site that the first week or so there is not much diff than basic as far as what they can do. Seems they can take more with them but they loose it all for the first couple weeks and have to earn it all back LOL. Shoot I should have just turned his cell phone off for 6 months LOL. Saved myself some $$$ lol.

I also think that experience at Jackson depends a LOT on the commander and drill sgt one gets. I've heard 2/60th has a pretty tough Com. Officer? Good news was that my son said he hadn't been in any trouble, made squad leader, and has not been yelled at the entire time so guess he counts himself as being lucky. Only thing he has had as far as that goes is that he is still getting asked where his beanie is and he is still replying . . . it was stolen drill sgt LOL LOL LOL. Think if he ever finds beanies at a PX he will buy like 10 of em!!!!

Toodles . . .

Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Corporal

if you're curious about family day, you can look it up on youtube.... it will ruin the surprise though! my mom made me watch a couple videos because she found them... they will make you cry though. she showed me some of couple reuniting and i started bawling lol... in fact just watched one not too long ago, i was already crying before it even started. so i'm thinkin one good thing to NOT wear on family day is make-up... which sucks because i'm an eyeliner junkie.

about the memory books and everything, your son may have already bought them. my boyfriend bought all of us the pictures that they take in uniform plus a dvd and a memory book. cost him quite a pretty penny though.

anyone get a call this past sunday? B company didn't as far as I know because neither his mom or I got a call.

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Corporal

I got a call on Saturday, E company. Sounded as if Victory Forge starts Wednesday, tomorrow. so no calls this weekend.
Mshanson, C company mentioned that it was their last call weekend, Which is a bummer since I was kinda hoping to review accomodations for graduation. We will see.