armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Private First Class

Default Age limit

If I join the army when I turn 18 how many of my years would I be able to spend with the army.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Sergeant

Someone else may know better, but its my understanding that there is no set age limit, Its more set on if you can perform your duties, i know theres guys in their 60's still serving, and the PT test does have a 62+ category.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Brigadier General

The amount of years you can stay in the Army is dependant on your rank. It's something like this - SGT out in 20, SSG out in 22, SFC, 25, MSG/1SG 30, SGM/CSM 32. These are just approximate. It's changed several times while I was still in. There are always exceptions & waivers.

Most will automatically be retired at age 60 although by now that might have changed to 62 because of the new enlistment maximum age of 42. A soldier has to be able to enlist with the guarantee of being able to retire at 20 years.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Sergeant First Class

Default Exceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
The amount of years you can stay in the Army is dependant on your rank. It's something like this - SGT out in 20, SSG out in 22, SFC, 25, MSG/1SG 30, SGM/CSM 32. These are just approximate. It's changed several times while I was still in. There are always exceptions & waivers.

Most will automatically be retired at age 60 although by now that might have changed to 62 because of the new enlistment maximum age of 42. A soldier has to be able to enlist with the guarantee of being able to retire at 20 years.
MSG GLENN is dead on (as usual)
However, depending on whether you go active or Guard the time limits change. In the Guard you can occupy a single rank for years due to the State requirement of filling slots. If you are an e-4 you have to wait for an e-5 slot to come available in your MOS. That may require you to switch units and sometimes switch MOS's depending on how bad you want to get promoted. I only bring this up because so many people do Active for a few years and then go Guard. This doesnt apply to the Reserves since they are Federal and the normal promotion system is the same as Active.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Sergeant

so its not so much a age limit but a time in rank limit?