armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Recruit

Default Physician Assistant opportunities in the US Army?

What are my options?

I am a healthy 27 y/o female with an AS Degree in Radiography and a secondary certification in Computed Tomography. I am a UK citizen with Greencard status (10+ years) who grew up in Australia. I have a desire to further my education and would like to become a Physicians Assistant. Having often thought about joining the Army but never exploring the realities I am unsure of how the recruitment system works. Granted I pass the physical examination and obtain the required score on the aptitude tests - what happens next and how do I ensure I am able to serve in the US Army as a Physicians Assistant? I am of the understanding that I will be deployed, however, is this before or after PA school? Understandibly, you may suggest I visit my local recruitment office. However, I would like to receive some basic information and mull over it. Certainly this is a serious decision to make and not one I wish to make rashly. I desire to serve people in the Medical Field and can see no greater way than to serve the US troops and provide them with the care they deserve. Any information that you can supply would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time and expertise - Janine

Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Private First Class

1. You must be a US citizen in order to apply for service as a PA in the US military.
  2. You must be licensed as a PA in the US.

You may wish to visit [URL="http://www.1800goguard.com/medical/pa.php"]this site[/URL] for some basic familiarity.

If you are a US green card holder, you are welcome to enlist, and perhaps serve in a related medical specialty.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Private

Lightbulb

[url]http://www.usarec.army.mil/armypa/[/url]

This is a link to the interservice physician assistant program (IPAP) It is a program that allows army personel to become PA's Most enlisted soldiers in this program were combat medics 68w. a few of the requirements are 60 college semester hours (associates degree) and have a general technical appitude score of 110 or higher you must have a specific length of service time to be accepted yet a waiver can be granted i hope this helps

Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Info

I know you would like to have some questions answered before you go see a recruiter. The programs available through the Army are constantly changing based on need. Any info I could give you is probably already outdated. The Army has recruiters who specialize in medical recruiting. I would advise you to go to the local recruiters office and ask who the Medical recruiter is, then contact him. Your goal for PA shouldnt be too hard at all based on your previous education. Also the Army requires you to complete your school before you can deploy. Good Luck!!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Corporal

With exceptions only made for credentialed medical professionals (i.e. physicians), you must attain citizenship before applying for commission. However, you could easily enlist and apply for citizenship that way, and once granted apply to the Interservice PA Program (IPAP).

If you want to view it, information on the IPAP is at:
[url]http://www.samhouston.army.mil/ipap/New%20IPAP%20Home%20Page.htm[/url]

But again, you must be enlisted first to apply to it. You could always enlist in the Reserve or the State Military Forces (National Guard or Air Guard), get your citizenship, and then apply!

Good luck!