armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Recruit

Default army residency

Hello,
I'm a Foreign Medical Graduate with ECFMG certification and US Green Card.
I'm thinking to join the Army and to apply for a residency program.
What I would like to know is first of all if its possible. If yes, what should I do?
Thank you all.

Dario

Old 03-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Brigadier General

I'm afraid that a residency program in the Army won't work for you, Dario. You can enlist in the Army with a green card but you can't come in as an officer, which you would do as an MD, without a US citizenship.

Talk to a Recruiter to be sure but I know officers have to have their citizenship. He'll probably tell you that you should come in as an enlisted man because you can get your citizenship faster in the Army. Once you become a citizen you can apply for an officer commission as an MD.

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Corporal

As you already are a Lawful Permanent Resident, you meet the key requirements for a test program looking to enlist and then commission people just like you. From [url]http://www.army.mil/standto/archive/2009/03/10/[/url] -

The Defense Department has authorized the U.S. Army to implement, under the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest (MAVNI) program, a test that permits the enlistment and subsequent commissioning of certain legal aliens as health care professionals. To be eligible for consideration, you must be legally present in the United States, and able to provide a passport, I-94 card, I-797 form, your employment authorization document or other government issued documents proving your legal presence in the United States.

For more information, go to [url]https://www.goarmy.com/info/form/GetBrcFormRedirectByUrl.do?url=/info/mavni/healthcare[/url] and submit your information, and an Army Healthcare recruiter will contact you. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Recruit

Default Possible Army Residency for US Citizen

I have a similar situation as the original poster but one simple difference, I'm a US Citizen.

I'm a Foreign Medical School Graduate from a Caribbean Medical School. I graduated last year. Is there a way for a non-enlisted person who did not attend an army/navy/marines medical school to obtain a residency position in an armed forces residency program?

Also if this is possible, how many year of committment would it entail? 3-5? more? Would they help me with my medical school loans?

Thanks.