armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Recruit

Default Heading to MEPS

I am heading to MEPS Thursday morning and will post all the details of what I learn when I get back. See ya on the other side.

I have a rendezvous with destiny with my fellow Screaming Eagles!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Brigadier General

Good luck to you, Tex.

Don't accept any contract that you don't want. Be very specific. If you want Infantry with Airborne tSchool following OSUT hen you MUST have an 11X option 4 contract. Accept nothing else. You might have to wait until fall to get that contract but the wait is worth it. Infantry slots may no longer be available. They'll probably offer you MOS 19D, Cavalry Scout instead. There's nothing wrong with that bt if it's Infantry you want that won't do.

Over 5 years ago when my son was enlisting he couldn't get the 11X Airborne Ranger (Option 40) contract. He started in about August when evrything was filled. He finally got exactly what he wanted with a 29 Jan ship date & along with that he even received a bonus for Infantry, one each ror Airborne, Ranger & a seasonal bonus.

The wait will be worth it. If your main goal is just to get in the Army regardless of what they offer you & have no preferances then you should be OK.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get unit of choice but if you are able to get in the 101st Air Assault School is automatic. If you have Airborne School you might be able to get in a unit of the 101st that's still on jump status. Most of the 101st is no longer Airborne but rather Air Assault. I'm sure you're aware of that, Tex.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.