armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Private First Class

Default Glasses for Basic & OCS

Hey guys,
I'm currently pursuing Army's OCS. I want to fly but I guess I'm going to have to work my way up to it. For one thing, my vision is 20/200 uncorrected in both eyes. From what I've read, I'm going to have to get the huge ugly glasses with a strap for Basic and OCS. Aren't these going to be a pain?

Would you recommend looking into PRK before I go to basic in about 5 months?

If so, are there documents on what the pre-op and post-op requirements are and if PRK is the right surgery to get? Am I better up toughing through it and have the Army do it for free after I'm commissioned?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to kmullins

yes you get the big ugly glasses! i dont know about having that surgery before going to basic, but i don know that my husband was looking into getting it before going to iraq, but they have a time from you must have it done by before you can go. needless to say he couldnt get it done, but after basic and ait, they do have better frames for you to choose from.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Staff Sergeant

I forget what they are called, but all the things i have read said these glasses guarantee you not to get laid..

Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Private First Class

birth control glasses. Yea I know.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Brigadier General

I'd lay off the PRK or any surgery unless the Army clears you for it. You might have to wait a few months before enlisting. Better check it out from a recruiter before electing to get the surgery. Don't go the Lasik route. the last I heard you have to wait a year after surgery to enlist.

The Army is offering PRK surgery but you'll be put on a waiting list. My son's been on one for over a year. Every time his number comes up he's overseas.

As far as the Birth Control Devices - eveyone who wears glasses will be wearing them. Just like your haircut; everyone will look the same. You won't be standing alone in a crowd. Be glad you don't have to pay for those ugly monsters! I'm sure you wouldn't like to break your custom stylish $500 glasses in training. Once out of BCT & OCS you can wear your own specs. I don't wear glasses but if I did I'd rather wear issue glasses in a combat situation.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
I'd lay off the PRK or any surgery unless the Army clears you for it. You might have to wait a few months before enlisting. Better check it out from a recruiter before electing to get the surgery. Don't go the Lasik route. the last I heard you have to wait a year after surgery to enlist.

The Army is offering PRK surgery but you'll be put on a waiting list. My son's been on one for over a year. Every time his number comes up he's overseas.

As far as the Birth Control Devices - eveyone who wears glasses will be wearing them. Just like your haircut; everyone will look the same. You won't be standing alone in a crowd. Be glad you don't have to pay for those ugly monsters! I'm sure you wouldn't like to break your custom stylish $500 glasses in training. Once out of BCT & OCS you can wear your own specs. I don't wear glasses but if I did I'd rather wear issue glasses in a combat situation.
True, What I plain to do is take my bonus and have eye surgery done after AIT.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:41 AM
Recruit

BCGs...god I hated them and for me they got in the way when I fired my m16. They were huge and my helmet would slide down just a bit but it was big enough to push my BCGs down. Very frustrating but it did have benefits. I remember what I used, but I was able to shove something in front of my left eye between my glasses and my eye to cover my eye. Helped with aiming. Hehe. Drill Sgt's never found out.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool The Doggs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaina View Post
I was able to shove something in front of my left eye between my glasses and my eye to cover my eye. Helped with aiming. Hehe. Drill Sgt's never found out.
She, made it look easy.. No big deal.. Alaina, you could be a Dogg.....We like that.

Go out and get yourself professional pairs of sawfly's or willey X's....highspeed... hardcore ..make it look easy.....

The Dogg,
Nightflyer. Highspeed.
Army Avation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever. The V's.....
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 12-31-2007 at 01:15 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 02:00 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
She, made it look easy.. No big deal.. Alaina, you could be a Dogg.....We like that.

Go out and get yourself professional pairs of sawfly's or willey X's....highspeed... hardcore ..make it look easy.....

The Dogg,
Nightflyer. Highspeed.
Army Avation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever. The V's.....
Sawflys are cool... Tactical glasses are the way to go especially in house clearing.....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Recruit

Default birth control glasses

the glasses are called birth control glasses. They are guaranteed to make you not get any, while you are wearing them!!!