View Single Post

Old 11-28-2005, 07:43 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLLOssie
I suppose really texas, that you have to live in acountry to understand it, unstead of being a complete wanker. I said my army was the best because i had thouroghly researched the facts. And it was my oppinion as stated, so why have a sook?

That bayoneted 2otimes was on the ANZAC day commerative show they played on that day. This war veteran lifted up his shirt and showed us viewers all the scars.

The grenade in tent thing, how can i be upheld for charges???How the ****?????? It is true, said by the veterans wanker. You wouldn't know anyway coss your a ****ing yank! Not australian!

And in most war books based on australia, it states that many would not even have realised that australia was even in the war. In australia here, you talk about it to poeple and they never knew. Hell, they dont even teach you it in 20thcentury at school, only about bloody england, germany and western front.They dont tell you the real stories.
I have read countless letters by soldiers themselves and is how i sum up my research. Though i agree with you on the not including other allies. I am too brief at times, and am rushy.

AND ****!!! about that testing ground in gallipoli, and your reply was the most arrogant ever. You are not australian, you DO NOT, know what it means to be one. The diggers are gods to us. It is what many would have close to a religion. It was a testing ground and we ANZACs passed it. It was to test how we would fare in battle. And we still charged the guns and died. just like the other Kiwi anzacs, french and british.

Facing odds and winning against all proportion to their numbers. Look up the battle of Romani, long tan, isurava, tobruk and korean battles etc.

In the battle of isurava alone was performed entirely by aussies. the yanks ships could not climb mountains, not yank participated in that kokoda battle. that i know of. I was australian involvment ther.e im not talking about a ****ing naval battle.

You lost in vietnam and brought everything down with it.

To ossiesolja: just bought the amazing sas today. I read half of it so far. It is amazinf what they did alone in timor and how the americans loved em in afghan and iraq.

THE FOLOWING ARE COPIES AND PASTES FROM WEBSITES:

The ANZAC Spirit.
The ANZACS and the Turks dug many miles of trenches along the beaches. With the Turks in front of them and the seas behind them, the Australians dug in and defended their trenches ruthlessly, giving rise to the term Digger, an Australia who never quits under hardship. It was a desperate time requiring endurance and courage on both sides and was not helped by poor leadership from the British High Command in London.

If sniper fire didnít get you, then gangrene, typhus, and no fresh food or water probably would. This dragged on for the next eight months and cost 8,000 Australian lives alone before the decision was made at the end of 1915 to abandon the beach heads. The Allied forces withdrew the remaining troops leaving their fallen comrades behind.

At that time Australia had been a Federated Nation for only 15 years. So while the landing of Gallipoli was not a success, it did bring the nation together as a whole for the first time.

Australia has a tradition of cutting down Tall Poppies, people who succeed, yet defending the underdog and making heroes of those who fail in noble causes despite great effort. Some examples of these are Ned Kelly, our most famous Bush Ranger, the Eureka Stockade, the closest Australia has ever come to civil war, and of course the famous Swagman popularised in the song Waltzing Matilda.

Thus has become the ANZAC spirit; bold and ferocious in battle but Ö unwilling to bow to military discipline. To be an ANZAC is to hold headfast in battle, to die with a smile, and yet never to succumb to authority.

To be an Australian is to do your best for your family and country against all odds with not a small amount of disdain and irreverence for the authorities.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They shall not grow old,
As we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning,
We will remember them.

For the Fallen, by Laurence Binyon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest we forget.

THE FOLLOWING ARE QUOTES:
---------
It was the birth of a nation, and one can only hope that this thought provided some comfort to the parents of the Anzac whose very Australian headstone stands where the first landing took place. It reads:

Died aged 18 near this spot
April 25, 1915
Did his best.

Phillip Knightley, Australia: A Biography of a Nation, 2000

The West Australians assumed that death was certain, and each in the secret places of his mind debated how he would go to it. Mate, having said goodbye to mate ... went forward to meet death instantly, running as straight and swiftly as they could at the Turkish rifles. With that regiment went the flower of the youth of Western Australia ...

War Historian C. Bean who was stationed at Gallipoli during WW1

The Australian soldier of legend was enterprising and independent, loyal, bold, egalitarian, cheerfully undisciplined and contemptuous of the class of British officers.

Blood, guts and the stuff of legend, SMH, 24 June 2005

Today is about compassion, about endurance against overwhelming odds, about mateship, it is about a 'fair go' - these are the values that were lived by our Anzacs and our Aussie boys on the Western Front and at Gallipoli

NSW Veterans Affairs Minister Danna Vale, Sydney Morning Herald, Anzac Day 2002

Australian soldiers have always achieved successed out of all proportion to their numbers. It is just that these great victories were overlooked at the time and then later obscured by military historians.

Peter Firkins, The Australians in Nine Wars: Waikato to Long Tan.

We do not glorify war on Anzac Day. Far from it. We remember the dreadful loss of lives in the many gallant battles fought by those brave young men who stepped forward when called upon to serve their country. Nor are we agressive, but we believe in showing the future enemy that we are so determined to defend our shores that he should think twice before taking on the Sons of Anzac!

Sir Colin Hines, President, R.S.L. (NSW) 1977

It is a story of great valour under fire, unity of purpose and a willingness to fight against the odds that has helped to define what it means to be an Australian

Prime Minister John Howard, on the death of the last Anzac, Alec Cambell, Sydney Morning Herald, 17 May 2002

The British troops were suffering from 'an atrophy of mind and body that is appalling... The physique of those at Suvla is not to be compared with the Australians. Nor, indeed, is their intelligence... They are merely a lot of childlike youths without strength to endure or brains to improve their condition... After the first day at Suvla an order had to be issued to officers to shoot without mercy any soldiers who lagged behind or loitered in an advance... [By contrast] It is stirring to see them [the Australians].. they have the noble faces of men who have endured. Oh, if you could picture Anzac as I have seen it, you would find that to be an Australian is the greatest privilege the world has to offer'

Phillip Knightley quoting Keith Murdoch, father of Rupert, who wrote from Gallipoli in 1915.
Australia: A Biography of a Nation, 2000
Your boring me ,bye