View Single Post

Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmach1 View Post
Can anyone tell me which MOS are more likely to be a fulltime slot once I am done with AIT? I haven't enlisted yet but I want to make sure I select the right one because I do not want to be a weekend warrior.

Thanks
If you don't want to be a part-timer then you have to enlist in the Active Duty Army. There's no law that says you have to be a Reservist or Guardsman.

If you have some reason that you have to be in the National Guard then get a contract that allows you to pull active duty for 4 years first or that will allow you to serve full time in the AGR (Active Guard/Reserve) program at your Guard unit. They'll decide which MOS you have to have in order to be a full time Guardsman.

Your best bet is to get into the Regular Army, chose the MOS you want, serve your time & then finish off your 8 year obligation in the Guard or Reserve. Active duty time will get you more education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill & possibly a bigger bonus.

See an Active Army Recruiter at a Recruiting Station, not a National Guard Recruiter who can only enlist you in the Guard. You can enlist for 2, 3, 4 or 6 years of active duty. The 2 year plan begins after your training so it'll be a bit longer.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.