View Single Post

Old 02-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Second Lieutenant

I know what you are going through. My son went through basic 2 years ago. It was hard to break those lines of communication. When you are used to them checking in all the time and being able to pick up the phone or text and find out where they are it's tough to break the connection cold turkey. My son never complained about getting letters. He was the opposite, he begged for them. And, I got a letter almost every day, sometimes 2. He was pretty homesick in the beginning, but by the end of the 4th week or so, the letters started turning around. I saved all of them and am putting together a scrap book for him. He will appreciate it one day. They really are a testament to how much he grew as a man in those few short weeks.

I got very few phone calls while he was in basic. If he got near a phone the first call he made was to check on his daughter. Then if the line wasn't too long, I might get a quick hello. I cherish the letters more. Of course I haven't received a single letter since basic, not even when he was deployed. Emails are easier.

Hang in there it gets better.