View Single Post

Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Recruit

Default Why do we still do sit-ups in the US Army?

Why is the US Army still doing sit-ups when the whole world that exercises knows it is inefficient and bad for your body?

From WikiHow:
Quote:
(Do not place both hands behind your head-- Placing both hands behind your head can cause lower back problems in the long run as it places unnecessary stress on that part of your body from pulling on your head and neck.)
From [url]http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/06jun/sit_up.htm[/url]
Quote:
Don't, however, interlace your fingers behind your head. When you do, you tend to pull on your head, which can stress the neck and cause injury. Pulling on your head also makes the abdominal muscles work less.
Personally, my neck hurts from doing sit-ups. I probably pull too much with my hands.

Sit-ups are not making my abs that much stronger fast. Doesnt really make my abs more tone. If anything, it just makes me tired.

I can pass a PT Test. I am not some PT failure complaining the system is against me.

Its just that since the US Army is developing, isn't it time to update our APFT and PT Program?

Some substitutes I could recommend:

Simply, dont place hands behind the head for sit-ups.
(Lets decrease the disability percentage for once from retiree's complaining about neck problems)

Find another ab exercise to test out.
(One we did in Soccer practice was lay flat on the ground, hold onto something like someone else's legs with your hands, and lift your legs straight up 90 degrees)
That could be a good replacement and work out our abs way better.

Can anyone recommend who I could email about this also in the US Army?
I believe we can change the APFT to be more efficient. It is 2007 now. We have gotten wiser on bad exersices.