armyreal.com Forum's Home

ArmyReal.com Forums (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mobilization & Deployment (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   If deployed (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8106)

kenneth keen 03-11-2009 01:21 AM

If deployed

Would we have the right to refuse to be deployed? If being deployed means to be called out to combat. I'm not saying I would refuse, but what if something like a family issue comes up and you need to be there for them.

Apologize, I have no education about the Army or how It is set up or works. So you'll probably be seeing a lot of questions from me like this

Armygirl4Ever 03-11-2009 07:02 AM

Your chain of command will look at each Soldier's individual circumstances. There is always exception to anything but realistically it is going to be extensive circumstances to keep you from deploying with your unit.

reconmedik 03-11-2009 08:15 AM

Deploy??

When you enlist in the Army you take an oath. The oath states that you will follow the orders of the President,the Officer's and the NCO' s appointed over you. It does not state that you can follow the orders if it is conveiniant for you!! If you feel that family issues may impede your ability to deploy then you need to NOT join the Army. The Army has a program called EFMP (exceptional family memeber program) if your family has issues that need addressed then the EFMP will help take care of those issues while you are deployed. They need to have legitimate problems, not you cant deploy because your wife will miss you. I for one am sick of people who want to join the Army as long as they dont have to do certain things!!! When I joined in 1983 the only gaurentee I had was the Army would pay me, feed me and give me a place to sleep!

kenneth keen 03-11-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reconmedik (Post 76800)
When you enlist in the Army you take an oath. The oath states that you will follow the orders of the President,the Officer's and the NCO' s appointed over you. It does not state that you can follow the orders if it is conveiniant for you!! If you feel that family issues may impede your ability to deploy then you need to NOT join the Army. The Army has a program called EFMP (exceptional family memeber program) if your family has issues that need addressed then the EFMP will help take care of those issues while you are deployed. They need to have legitimate problems, not you cant deploy because your wife will miss you. I for one am sick of people who want to join the Army as long as they dont have to do certain things!!! When I joined in 1983 the only gaurentee I had was the Army would pay me, feed me and give me a place to sleep!

It was just a hypothetical question, no need to get worked up I was just wondering. I would deploy if I had the call.

SniperAlpha1 03-11-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth keen (Post 76812)
It was just a hypothetical question, no need to get worked up I was just wondering. I would deploy if I had the call.

Easy there. You put forward the question and it's serious. Rec gave a serious answer. When you enlist, you swear an oath to serve and defend the United States of America. It's serious business and you put forward a question about getting around the possibility of deployment. Dereliction of Duty is a serious matter and should be answered in a serious manner.

kenneth keen 03-11-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 (Post 76816)
Easy there. You put forward the question and it's serious. Rec gave a serious answer. When you enlist, you swear an oath to serve and defend the United States of America. It's serious business and you put forward a question about getting around the possibility of deployment. Dereliction of Duty is a serious matter and should be answered in a serious manner.

No Need to jump in like that. I was just saying it as hypothetically. Like I said I have no education on how the Army works, last thing I want is a respectable soldier yelling at me.

reconmedik 03-12-2009 10:55 AM

Hypothetical??

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth keen (Post 76820)
No Need to jump in like that. I was just saying it as hypothetically. Like I said I have no education on how the Army works, last thing I want is a respectable soldier yelling at me.

KEEN,
First off this is an open forum and anyone, anywhere can "jump in" when they feel compeeled to make a statement. This site is not just reserved for those who have questions. We try to have intelligent discussions and give advice when asked. Second, I am sure I am not the only one on this site who are getting a little tired of "hypothetical" questions such as yours. We have been overwhelmed lately with questions from young Soldiers or people who are thinking about joining the Army. Alot of the "hypothetical" questions revolve around people trying to find loopholes in their obligation to the service. If this applies to you then take the "yelling" for what it's worth. If it doesnt apply to you then get some thicker skin.

kenneth keen 03-12-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reconmedik (Post 76870)
KEEN,
First off this is an open forum and anyone, anywhere can "jump in" when they feel compeeled to make a statement. This site is not just reserved for those who have questions. We try to have intelligent discussions and give advice when asked. Second, I am sure I am not the only one on this site who are getting a little tired of "hypothetical" questions such as yours. We have been overwhelmed lately with questions from young Soldiers or people who are thinking about joining the Army. Alot of the "hypothetical" questions revolve around people trying to find loopholes in their obligation to the service. If this applies to you then take the "yelling" for what it's worth. If it doesnt apply to you then get some thicker skin.

You just said that there's a lot of young soldier on this message board, so It'd just be common sense that you'd get these kinds of question. Going off on someone isn't an intelligent discussion let alone an intelligent response. Trying to find loopholes to the army's service is a bull crap state ment in my eye's. I have serious intentions on enlisting when I turn 18 so I want to know all the rules before I enlist. I could argue more, but I didn't come here to hear member's "Go off" on unexperienced members. So I'd feel much better if in the future I could just get a simple response to my questions. Thank you, and again apologize for arguing.

SniperAlpha1 03-12-2009 08:34 PM

You asked a question about avoiding deployment. How were we supposed to act?

missinhim 03-12-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 (Post 76901)
You asked a question about avoiding deployment. How were we supposed to act?

wow. it was just a question. he has no knowledge of this kinda stuff. take a chill pill and relax! jeez.

SniperAlpha1 03-12-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinhim (Post 76902)
wow. it was just a question. he has no knowledge of this kinda stuff. take a chill pill and relax! jeez.

It's a subject that he shouldn't have brought up. If he comes here for questions about the enlistment process, various MOSs or the works, we'll help. When he asks if there is a way to get around deployment, that ticks some off.

kenneth keen 03-12-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinhim (Post 76902)

Thank you.

kenneth keen 03-12-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 (Post 76906)
It's a subject that he shouldn't have brought up. If he comes here for questions about the enlistment process, various MOSs or the works, we'll help. When he asks if there is a way to get around deployment, that ticks some off.

Also that's not what I asked. I asked if there's some kind of emergency that you need to be home for will the army let you be with your family for that emergency.

missinhim 03-12-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 (Post 76906)

well im sure it does. but it was just a QUESTION? how is he ever gunna know if he doesn't asks. and you should calm down on him. and he has ever right to bring it up.

missinhim 03-12-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth keen (Post 76907)
Thank you.

YOUR WELCOME:)

if i had a question jeez idunno if i'd want to ask it i might be freaked out on. :)

MSG Glenn 03-13-2009 06:20 AM

Obviously there are certain subjects that turn a switch on in certain people. Some of us who served in combat & went cheerfully & willingly, in other words followed orders without question, can find this question to be bothersome. It is a valid question I'll grant but lately, several months ago we had a discussion with a young man who wanted to join the Army very bad but was asking questions like which MOSs didn't get deployed & how he could get out of a deployment if his unit got called. That rankled a few of us on this forum & some are still touchy. I'm sure Kenneth didn't imply that he was hesitant about deploying but in light of a family emergency what chances would he have of being able to stay Stateside. That's at least what I gathered the gist of his question to be. I've communicated with Kenneth & he seems to be a sincere young man seriously thinking of enlisting but wanting to get all the facts before he takes the next step.

I'll make an open invitation to anyone who has a question they feel is controversial or is ashamed to ask it to send me a PM. I reserve the right to do some @ss-chewin' in private, though! The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

MSG Glenn

Armygirl4Ever 03-13-2009 06:45 AM

Not to start another tangent but it's a sensitive subject to some. Like MSG Glenn we've had a few who jump on here who want to serve but want to so do with strings attached.

For me personally, it burns me wrong because my husband is over there again. He's serving his country willingly, going away from me and my boys without complaint but then we get people jumping on here who want the bonus, the college money and the benefits but oh by the way, don't send me over there?

It's a red button for some. And really, this forum could be a good place to start growing thick skin, the Army isn't always so touchy feely.

reconmedik 03-13-2009 06:47 AM

Deployment

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth keen (Post 76896)
You just said that there's a lot of young soldier on this message board, so It'd just be common sense that you'd get these kinds of question. Going off on someone isn't an intelligent discussion let alone an intelligent response. Trying to find loopholes to the army's service is a bull crap state ment in my eye's. I have serious intentions on enlisting when I turn 18 so I want to know all the rules before I enlist. I could argue more, but I didn't come here to hear member's "Go off" on unexperienced members. So I'd feel much better if in the future I could just get a simple response to my questions. Thank you, and again apologize for arguing.

Yeah, your going to do great at basic training!

kenneth keen 03-13-2009 11:15 AM

If I was going to avoid being deployed I wouldn't even think of joining the Army :rolleyes: The only way to gain a proper education is to ask questions, even if you don't like them. We have the rights to ask about anything.

missinhim 03-13-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth keen (Post 76938)
If I was going to avoid being deployed I wouldn't even think of joining the Army :rolleyes: The only way to gain a proper education is to ask questions, even if you don't like them. We have the rights to ask about anything.

EXACTLy. i think there is nothing wrong with asking a question you don't know the answer to. i still don't get why he got all riled up about it.

kenneth keen 03-13-2009 12:00 PM

Neither do I, I asked it in a civil and respectful way then these two members start to gain up on me, then they tell me to gain some "skin" even after I said I have no education on how the army works, if you ask me that's a jerk way of trying to educate someone about the army. I hardly doubt if i asked a Recruiter he wouldn't of gone off on someone that knows nothing about the army.

missinhim 03-13-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth keen (Post 76944)
Neither do I, I asked it in a civil and respectful way then these two members start to gain up on me, then they tell me to gain some "skin" even after I said I have no education on how the army works, if you ask me that's a jerk way of trying to educate someone about the army. I hardly doubt if i asked a Recruiter he wouldn't of gone off on someone that knows nothing about the army.

ya i get fully where your coming from. and honestly i don't get why they both got mad about it. "you really need to gain some skin!!" HA. jk. i find that kinda funny. and honestly i don't have any education on this either. and i don't think a recruiter should!

Mikelp 03-13-2009 06:41 PM

I never understand why thin skinned-I left out lily livered- folks insist on hanging around military oriented forums.
They invariably ask something of a controversial nature and then get their lace shorts wadded up over inevitable responses.

As a kid there was always some snotty little punk who wanted to be allowed to play with the big boys.

They whined to their mom and we would have to let them play.

Every time they would get knocked on their butts they would run screaming to mommy about "meanies" and it started all over.

This guy knew dang well what response he would get, then tried to weasel out of it.

kenneth keen 03-13-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikelp (Post 76968)
I never understand why thin skinned-I left out lily livered- folks insist on hanging around military oriented forums.
They invariably ask something of a controversial nature and then get their lace shorts wadded up over inevitable responses.

As a kid there was always some snotty little punk who wanted to be allowed to play with the big boys.

They whined to their mom and we would have to let them play.

Every time they would get knocked on their butts they would run screaming to mommy about "meanies" and it started all over.

This guy knew dang well what response he would get, then tried to weasel out of it.

Alright this is enough, the discussions over.

LiHer82 03-13-2009 08:19 PM

My 2 cents

I've been watching this post for the past few days and I told myself I was not going to get involved, but I can't help not to. I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum because a lot of you have helped me with my personal questions, but I think some of you might have jumped the gun. You might want to go back and re-read his post.

I think the most important part of his post is this sentence...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth keen (Post 76778)
I'm not saying I would refuse, but what if something like a family issue comes up and you need to be there for them.

He was not asking if there was some way to avoid deployment, but merely asking if a "family issue" should arise would he be allowed to stay behind and take care of it. Now, what I think we should really take into consideration is the possibilities of what his "family issues" could be. We don't know if he has a sick family member or even a child that at some point might need him to be around. There is an infinite number of possiblities that might require his presence. It's better that he asks now before he enlists into the Army without being able to commit himself fully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth keen (Post 76778)
Apologize, I have no education about the Army or how It is set up or works. So you'll probably be seeing a lot of questions from me like this

Now, this is another important part of his post. He is obviously unaware of the Army's policies like many of us here. That's why we come to these forums so that those of you who are aware could answer our questions and help us understand. I really don't think he came here to offend anyone and I really don't think he was trying to find a way to avoid deployement. Otherwise, he would be asking questions like the gentlemen MSG mentioned.

I underdstand many of you have been affected by deployement in some way or another, whether it is you who's been deployed, or a loved one, but I still don't think we should treat Mr. Keen so unfairly, without fully understanding his situation. I agree, it's upsetting when someone joins the military and tries to avoid deployment, but I don't think that's the case here.

Well anyways, that's my 2 cents. I hope I wasn't disrespectful to anyone here and if I was I truly apologize. I just want Mr. Keen to get the same out of this forum as I did and do, which is great help and support. :)

Have a great day!

missinhim 03-13-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiHer82 (Post 76971)
I've been watching this post for the past few days and I told myself I was not going to get involved, but I can't help not to. I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum because a lot of you have helped me with my personal questions, but I think some of you might have jumped the gun. You might want to go back and re-read his post.

I think the most important part of his post is this sentence...

He was not asking if there was some way to avoid deployment, but merely asking if a "family issue" should arise would he be allowed to stay behind and take care of it. Now, what I think we should really take into consideration is the possibilities of what his "family issues" could be. We don't know if he has a sick family member or even a child that at some point might need him to be around. There is an infinite number of possiblities that might require his presence. It's better that he asks now before he enlists into the Army without being able to commit himself fully.

Now, this is another important part of his post. He is obviously unaware of the Army's policies like many of us here. That's why we come to these forums so that those of you who are aware could answer our questions and help us understand. I really don't think he came here to offend anyone and I really don't think he was trying to find a way to avoid deployement. Otherwise, he would be asking questions like the gentlemen MSG mentioned.

I underdstand many of you have been affected by deployement in some way or another, whether it is you who's been deployed, or a loved one, but I still don't think we should treat Mr. Keen so unfairly, without fully understanding his situation. I agree, it's upsetting when someone joins the military and tries to avoid deployment, but I don't think that's the case here.

Well anyways, that's my 2 cents. I hope I wasn't disrespectful to anyone here and if I was I truly apologize. I just want Mr. Keen to get the same out of this forum as I did and do, which is great help and support. :)

Have a great day!

very nice way to put it. and i totally agree with how you put every single part of that. good job:)

bekamcclung 03-14-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reconmedik (Post 76922)
Yeah, your going to do great at basic training!

That is just what I was thinking!

reconmedik 03-16-2009 07:10 AM

My point

I think it's hilarious that he felt compelled to ask the question to begin with. Any moron that has sense enough to pour piss out of his shoes knows that in todays military, if you enlist you will be deployed. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out by his question that he is looking for a way into the military and at the samre time lower or negate his chances of deployment. I also find it funny when he states "it's not like I would refuse" in regards to what he would do WHEN he is deployed. I can guarantee you that you would not refuse!! If you cant stand a little heat when some one answers your questions than dont enlist at all. I can assure you thayt whenever you ask your drill a question he is not going to cuddle you when he answers. Unlike the civillian world there is NO political correctness in BCT. You WILL be abused(to a certain extent), You WILL get your feelings hurt, you WILL be told on occassion that your question is stupid!!(mostly because the drill has answered the question several times before you ask again) My point is this...Dont pose a question you already know the answer to in the hopes that us old salty dogs will show you a way out. Even if there were (and there are) ways to get out of deployment I wouldnt and I am sure my other forum members wouldnt tell you. I think that 5 pages of remarks from you is more than enough Mr. Sensitive!!

missinhim 03-16-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reconmedik (Post 77120)
I think it's hilarious that he felt compelled to ask the question to begin with. Any moron that has sense enough to pour piss out of his shoes knows that in todays military, if you enlist you will be deployed. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out by his question that he is looking for a way into the military and at the samre time lower or negate his chances of deployment. I also find it funny when he states "it's not like I would refuse" in regards to what he would do WHEN he is deployed. I can guarantee you that you would not refuse!! If you cant stand a little heat when some one answers your questions than dont enlist at all. I can assure you thayt whenever you ask your drill a question he is not going to cuddle you when he answers. Unlike the civillian world there is NO political correctness in BCT. You WILL be abused(to a certain extent), You WILL get your feelings hurt, you WILL be told on occassion that your question is stupid!!(mostly because the drill has answered the question several times before you ask again) My point is this...Dont pose a question you already know the answer to in the hopes that us old salty dogs will show you a way out. Even if there were (and there are) ways to get out of deployment I wouldnt and I am sure my other forum members wouldnt tell you. I think that 5 pages of remarks from you is more than enough Mr. Sensitive!!

holy **** he obviously didn't know the answer or else he wouldn't have asked..

jerk:)

reconmedik 03-16-2009 08:41 AM

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinhim (Post 77121)
holy **** he obviously didn't know the answer or else he wouldn't have asked..

jerk:)

First off the premeire sign of weakness is name calling. If you cant debate intelligently then go back to your Hollywood Insider website and continue your online discussion about Brittany's new hair color or your favorite crush. I can guarentee you he knew the answer to his question. If he is that stupid then he need not join the Army. When your beloved joined did you really need to ask that question?? You knew that when he joined he had a Strong chance of being deployed!! I know this from your previous posts!! Dont try and defend such a moronic "question" He wasnt asking a question, he was looking for an out!! I dont care what you think or say!! Is there anyone out there who does not believe that they will not be deployed if they enlist??? I dont think so. You need to learn to read the real question behind the words. He even stated in his "question" what he would do if it came about. I was born at night but it wasnt last night!!! Be careful with your name calling.. I got more time serving my country then you probably have being on this earth.!!!

reconmedik 03-16-2009 09:01 AM

Ps

Quote:

Originally Posted by reconmedik (Post 76800)

I think Mr Keen and MS. Missinhim need to read my originnal post again. I gave an open and honest answer along with useful information. I also stated my disdain for those who want to join the Army and then try and shirk their responsibilities. The Oath is serious...some people, especially the younger set of this world no longer appreciate the sanctity of an oath. I took the opportunity ,with his "question" to show how serious this matter is and how serious those of us have served take it. I didnt point any fingers at him personally. I only stated what I have seen come to this site since I retired last year. Mr Keen decided to answer my post's in a defensive manner and proceeded to cry about me "yelling" at him. I am not going to apoligize for only bringing out the facts. If he felt attacked, maybe it was because he knew that those of us that have been around the block a few times saw right through his "question". As far as Missinhim is concerned I wonder how you are going to feel when you find out that your Hubby is going to deploy because someone found a way to avoid deployment and he is going to have to take their place??

missinhim 03-16-2009 11:12 AM

no. i know exactly where your coming from and where he's coming from completly. but we should calm down. and ya im sure you have been fighting longer than i've been alive. 16 years 5 months? but i really appreciate it. but he did state that he wouldn't refuse it..but what if something happened with your parents or any part of your immediate family while you were in basic or afterwards. would you be able to go and help out with family? and then return to what you were doing or is that absolutly not possible. i think thats more of how he ment it. well have a good day!

and how long have you been doing this? just wondering

reconmedik 03-16-2009 11:47 AM

How Long??

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinhim (Post 77149)
no. i know exactly where your coming from and where he's coming from completly. but we should calm down. and ya im sure you have been fighting longer than i've been alive. 16 years 5 months? but i really appreciate it. but he did state that he wouldn't refuse it..but what if something happened with your parents or any part of your immediate family while you were in basic or afterwards. would you be able to go and help out with family? and then return to what you were doing or is that absolutly not possible. i think thats more of how he ment it. well have a good day! and how long have you been doing this? just wondering

:)

24 years 8 mos and 14 days before I retired in Nov. of 2008. Never would have retired but got hurt in Iraq and was forced to medically retire. I completely understand what he was asking and I completely agree that if your parents or a loved one was sick and needed you then there is a reason to DELAY deployment...not deploy at all.. He could deinantly take care of his Family first. Maybe I am too old fashioned but I really think that some people are just way too sensitive. Sensitivity while a great trait can get people hurt in Combat.

missinhim 03-16-2009 12:00 PM

wow that is along time! how did you get hurt if you don't mind me asking?
:( i would be scared to death if i ever had to go to Iraq.

reconmedik 03-16-2009 02:13 PM

Woops!!!

I actually meant to post my previous on missinhims private mail. Dadblame newfangled word processors !!!!:confused:

bekamcclung 03-16-2009 07:36 PM

you can Edit your own posts and delete the personal info. Click the Edit icon under your post.
All good. I actually appreciated it.

kenneth keen 03-20-2009 01:56 AM

People who attempted to tell me to gain skin or crap like that your all *******s. First of all THIS IS NOT THE ARMY IT IS THE INTERNET. So theres no reason to go off on someone like that.You might of served in the past but I have not. Therefore thanks for the education and respectable answers. I'm sure they taught some of you are respect in Training. Last time I checked none of you were Drill instructers here. This is not a debate board on rather I'm trying to get my *** out of deployment those who think that about me can screw off. Have a nice day friends.

SniperAlpha1 03-20-2009 06:23 AM

This is the intenet, so a fair point; but since you're actively pursuing the Army, we assume that you are going to join. Your Drill Sergeant isn't going to be a nice guy. Our point about getting thicker skin is a valid one. If you can't take some anonymous lashings here, how are you going to handle a 250 pound guy screaming in your face?

We're simply putting our thoughts about your post out there. This is an open board after all.

reconmedik 03-20-2009 06:29 AM

Thick Skin

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 (Post 77436)
This is the intenet, so a fair point; but since you're actively pursuing the Army, we assume that you are going to join. Your Drill Sergeant isn't going to be a nice guy. Our point about getting thicker skin is a valid one. If you can't take some anonymous lashings here, how are you going to handle a 250 pound guy screaming in your face?

We're simply putting our thoughts about your post out there. This is an open board after all.

Ditto Sniper!!
It seems to me that if he cant take a "yelling" online he is going to last about 2 minutes in BCT:D

kenneth keen 03-20-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 (Post 77436)

No your attempting to make me look like a coward and saying I'm trying to get out of Deployment. I had a simple question and you *******s turned it into a huge pointless argument. Point is Your not my drill Instructor so you should answer a question respectably to someone that has no idea on how the army works. Other Soldiers are suppose to help other Soldiers in the army are they not? And not go off on them for asking a small question like this. only reason why I came here is to get advise, not be called a coward. And start big debates like this. If you dont like the question dont answer, simple as that let someone with respect for newer Recurites answer it. Also Telling me to get skin is just an excuse for you guy's to go off on me for no reason, I'd say backing myself up is having enough "skin".