Forum's Home Forums (
-   Suggestions & Feedback (
-   -   bah issues (

gsx06cs 02-15-2009 01:41 AM

bah issues
I am in the army national guard, and my unit is getting deployed back to iraq in may. I wasn't able to go with them the last time so I did not run into this problem. I was asking my first sgt about being able to get bah and he said that I would not be able to get it while I am oversease for the entire year.I am single with no dependents. I am renting my home for 800 dollars a month (rent to own) and me and my fiance are getting married when I come home so I want my place to stay when I get back. Not to mention the fact that I won't have newhere to keep my things and if I don't get my bah I'm going to be coming out of pocket 800 a month while I'm there. That's a lot of money for a single pfc. If anyone has any advice for me or what I can do please let me know. Thank you!

MSG Glenn 02-15-2009 05:36 AM

I don't know if I can offer any advice because if your 1SG said no BAH then I guess that's the final answer. It makes sense in as much as the Army is already providing you a "home" & the rental that you're in will remain empty.

Have you tried sub-letting it? Find someone who'll take over the place for the duration of your active duty. This would have to be cleared with the landlord of course. A friend or two who you trust could take it over & as a sweetener, if I were you, I'd kick in some money each month to sweeten the deal, maybe $100. That way the rent would be lower for them & you'd have a place to go when you get off of deployment.

The only other option that you've found out for yourself is to let the place go. Try to make an arrangement with a friend or relative that you'll stay with them when you get back for a month or so or until you can find a place of your own.

Good luck to you.

shorty32 02-15-2009 09:21 AM

Get married now cause then your new wife will have benefits like bah only married people get it well single soldiers get partial bah but when you are married you are entitled to the whole thing

gsx06cs 02-15-2009 11:02 PM

Well that is another problem. I have asked her father to marry my fiance and all but they want a big wedding so he will not let me marry her till I come home from deployment. I asked him the other day if we could do it before and he said plain out no. Not til I get home. I explained to him why wanted to cuz of the benefits and he will not go for it. How do I get the partial bah? And how much is that usualy?

reconmedik 02-17-2009 06:48 AM

You can afford it!
As a single PFC in a war zone the 800.00 a month shouldnt be too much to bear. You will not pay a cent for housing, food or clothing while you are deployed. Granted the 800.00 a month you have to pay sucks but it will not drive you to bankruptcy. I am sure you will probably get promoted along with your hazerdous duty pay, family seperation pay and other little bennies you get you should be okay. You could do what I did, I got married at a justice of the peace and me and my wife had a large wedding 8 months later. Nobody has to know and the Army doesnt care where you get married. Just a thought.:D

tk1188 02-17-2009 09:01 AM

yeah you wont be able to get BAH at all unless you get married before you go or you have a kid already that you can claim as a dependent

gsx06cs 02-17-2009 05:46 PM

Ok well thanks for everyones help. But one of you was saying that you got married before you went and no one ever knew. Her dad would have a cow and never forgive us. But is there a way to get married and him have no possible way of finding out and him thinking that the wedding that they give us when I get home is the real deal? I would do it if he would never find out.

tk1188 02-17-2009 07:57 PM

thats something you n her gonna have to deal on your own army cant hide that you are married

shorty32 02-20-2009 06:49 AM

yeah but the army can't tell him your business when me and my wife got married we went to the justice of the peace and we had 2 people from the court be our witness if we didn't tell anyone in the family nobody would know but she will have to get new driver's license and social security card and when you file taxes it will be married status just some things to look at but being deployed you will get extra money and being over there you are not going to spend alot so you could make your 800 a month payment just have to set up a way to pay it

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.