PDA

View Full Version : US helicopter downed

jrj1000
07-02-2008, 05:33 PM
An American Blackhawk helicopter has been shot down in Afghanistan in a province bordering the capital, Kabul.

The aircraft was brought down by a rocket-propelled grenade, a military spokesman said.

The pilot managed to land the craft and get the crew and passengers to safety before it caught fire, he said.

Meanwhile, the governor of Nimroz province in the south-west of the country has survived a suicide attack, which killed four other people.

Governor Ghulam Dastageer Azad said the attack took place on a convoy of vehicles he was travelling in.

'Burned out'

The Blackhawk was taking part in operations under the US-led coalition when it was hit by what a spokesman called "small arms fire".

He described how the pilot was able to crash-land the helicopter and to get all the passengers and crew off the aircraft before it caught fire.

There were no reports of any serious injuries.

The Blackhawk was flying quite close to the ground when it was hit in Logar province which borders Kabul - just a short distance from the Afghan capital in an area described by a local MP as a Taleban stronghold.

The Blackhawk was burned out in the crash and the coalition said the remains were completely destroyed by a precision strike.

The BBC's Alastair Leithead in Kabul says there have been a number of problems with coalition and Nato helicopters over the last month.

A few days ago another Blackhawk crash-landed and rolled over in a dust cloud, a Chinook crashed in Kunar province after suffering engine failure and a small scout helicopter crashed in Kandahar a few weeks ago.

A Nato spokesman said it had been a particularly busy month and there are now more troops and aircraft in the country.

June was the bloodiest month for international forces since the campaign against the Taleban began at the end of 2001.

A number of helicopters have been shot down in Afghanistan. Seven troops died last summer when an American Chinook was shot down in Helmand province.

Exo1
07-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Its good that the Skills of the Pilot has saved the crewe and passengers and they got out alive and relatively well. However, I always hate hearing of those b*st*rds getting lucky like that!!... Boils my blood!!....:mad:

jrj1000
07-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Its good that the Skills of the Pilot has saved the crewe and passengers and they got out alive and relatively well. However, I always hate hearing of those b*st*rds getting lucky like that!!... Boils my blood!!....:mad:

Piolts are crazy mate...:D....Army Air Corps piolts even more so...and to crash- land a blackhawk takes skill....high skill levels..like you say the ****ers got lucky.....and low flying helicopters have always been vunreble to small arms fire/RPGs....but theres still massive amounts of luck invoved....it dosnt seem as if the ****ers have got their hands on.....high tech SAM systems....thats one thing that tipped the balance...when the soviets where there..

Exo1
07-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Piolts are crazy mate...:D....Army Air Corps piolts even more so...and to crash- land a blackhawk takes skill....high skill levels..like you say the ****ers got lucky.....and low flying helicopters have always been vunreble to small arms fire/RPGs....but theres still massive amounts of luck invoved....it dosnt seem as if the ****ers have got their hands on.....high tech SAM systems....thats one thing that tipped the balance...when the soviets where there..

The Sams as far as I know where only used by the Mujahadeen for Choppers and some of the slower and larger aircraft.... Fast Air was never comprimised as far as I know.. if thats not the case, do share....

No doubt, luck is always needed to get a landing with only bumps and bruises, etc....

3 Commando 4ever
07-05-2008, 03:10 PM
The Russians relied on Helicopters in a big way in the stan,once the Mujhadeen fighters were given the Stingers,the russians had to think twice about heli missions,if the Taliban get their hands on decent surface to air weapons,we are in trouble

Spike
07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Its good that the Skills of the Pilot has saved the crewe and passengers and they got out alive and relatively well. However, I always hate hearing of those b*st*rds getting lucky like that!!... Boils my blood!!....:mad:Take a chill pill. You'll give yourself a heart attack getting revved up every 5 secs

Exo1
07-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Take a chill pill. You'll give yourself a heart attack getting revved up every 5 secs

lol... Well Im chilled mate!!.. Something to do with the excesses of Miller and JD I had last night... man!!.. the wind is out of my sails today!!....:o

Spike
07-06-2008, 08:28 AM
lol... Well Im chilled mate!!.. Something to do with the excesses of Miller and JD I had last night... man!!.. the wind is out of my sails today!!....:oI'll drink to that.

3 Commando 4ever
07-06-2008, 09:40 AM

Piolts are piolts,they are not going to be incharge of multi-million pound aircaft in warzones,if they were incompitent:D,as a passenger your life is in their hands,your life and the aircraft

Exo1
07-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Piolts are piolts,they are not going to be incharge of multi-million pound aircaft in warzones,if they were incompitent:D,as a passenger your life is in their hands,your life and the aircraft

Very true, but we all react in different ways to combat events like that, its great to see there training and good character shone at the right moment, and calmly reacted to the crises with skill and courage to bring the bird safely to the ground....

torspo[fin]
07-06-2008, 02:26 PM
they say its RPG, while it more likely is one of the old Stingers CIA gave to the Mujhadeen.
not that RPG could not down a heli if correctly aimed at low flying target..

jrj1000
07-06-2008, 03:49 PM
;64178']they say its RPG, while it more likely is one of the old Stingers CIA gave to the Mujhadeen.
not that RPG could not down a heli if correctly aimed at low flying target..

Not sure how many stingers remain Torps...if any at all.....even intense 7.62mm fire can bring down UH-60s...depending on the helicopters speed and altitude.....for an RPG to take it down.....there has to be a huge amount of luck invovled....or the Helis at stationary hover....

or your first point is correct....the Taliban have stingers left over from the 80s:eek: