Enlist : Reserve Education
Email This Story Print This Story


Contact A Recruiter

Active Duty

Army Reserve

National Guard

Prior Military Service

Special Operations


Request Information

Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB-SR): If you have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED) and score above 50 on the ASVAB you can enlist in the Army Reserves and get part of your college education paid for. You can earn $10,152 for college. Enlist for six years and earn more than $22,000.

Selected Reserve Montgomery GI Bill "Kicker" (MGIB-SRK): Depending on your MOS (Army Military Operational Specialty) you can add up to $350 a month to your standard MGIB benefit (up to 36 months).

Earned College Credit
• Attend college while serving in the Army Reserve.
• Attend accredited colleges, universities and vocational schools where classes are designed to accommodate a Soldiers lifestyle.
• Receive college credits for military training and experience.
• Join the Reserve Officers' Training Corps at your local college or university and become an Officer.

Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
Do you have federally insured college loans (not in default)? The following loans qualify for the Army Reserve's loan repayment program:

• Auxiliary Loan Assistance for Students (ALAS)
• Stafford Student Loan or Guaranteed Student Loan (GSL)
• Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loans)
• Federally Insured Student Loans (FISL)
• Perkins Loan or National Direct Student Loan (NDSL)
• Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS)

Under the Army Reserve and the Student Loan Repayment Program you can receive
up to 15 percent of your loan amount or $1,500 per year, whichever is greater, up to $10,000.
Qualify for student loan repayment of 15 percent or $3,000 per year, whichever is greater, up to $20,000 with certain Army Reserve jobs.

Army Tuition Assistance
The Army will pay for part of your college education through Tuition Assistance. This includes classroom instruction, Internet, and correspondence classes. The Tuition Assistance program will pay up to $250 per quarter hour (up to $4,500 per year).

The Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAP)
ConAP is a program administered by the Army Reserve in coordination with more than 1,700 community colleges and four-year universities. Under this program you can enroll in college and in the Army Reserve.

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC)

The Servicemembers' Opportunity Colleges are a network of approximately 1,400 colleges and universities whose policies and programs are designed especially to help meet the higher education needs of service members (and their families).

For example, SOC schools minimize residency requirements, minimize loss of transfer credit, and assess learning gained through non-traditional programs. SOCAD is the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) degree program for the US Army. The program is divided into two parts, SOCAD-2, the associate degree network program, and SOCAD-4, the bachelor's degree network program.

It consists of colleges that offer associate and bachelor's degree programs on or accessible to Army installations worldwide. These colleges have joined together to form networks in which each college accepts credits from all the others. This guarantees that Army students and their adult family members can continue toward completion of their degrees even though the Army may transfer them several times. There are also degrees available by distance learning that require no classroom residency.

Click here for a list of colleges and universities that participate in this program.


Contact A Recruiter

This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.